Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: [fixed] DDS texture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I suspect that W3D 2.2.4 has problems loading DDS textures with an alpha channel. Take the following model as an example:

https://p3dm.ru/files/avio/air_military_...stuka.html

On opening it on my rig, CPU/memory usage gradually rises to 100% at which point the system starts lagging badly. On removing the textures with an alpha channel, the same model loads just fine.
Update:
no, it is not the alpha channel nor the texture format. I have just imported in Wings another dds texture with opacity map stored in its alpha channel, and this time I couldn't notice any problem, but every time I try loading the textures from the model I linked above, Wings3D hangs my computer, I wonder why.
I think it can be a bug dgud fixed recently.
It has the same simptoms and it's related to non-square DDS images. Could it be that?
(12-04-2019, 09:35 AM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]I think it can be a bug dgud fixed recently.
It has the same simptoms and it's related to non-square DDS images. Could it be that?

Hi micheus,
thank you for your reply!

Answering your question: yes, it can.
The "suspect" textures are non-square actually. On the other hand I remember having used other non-square textures in the recent past with no apparent problems, so this is a little mistery to me.

In any case, if dgud's fix has already been released I would be grateful to you if you pointed me to its download link Smile
(12-04-2019, 10:35 AM)gap Wrote: [ -> ]Answering your question: yes, it can.
The "suspect" textures are non-square actually. On the other hand I remember having used other non-square textures in the recent past with no apparent problems, so this is a little mistery to me.
Maybe it includes mipmaps.

Quote:In any case, if dgud's fix has already been released I would be grateful to you if you pointed me to its download link Smile
It will be available in the next release - which I think it will be available soon.
In the mean time, in order to you can check if that fix your problem I'm going to make the file available in this link: e3d__dds.beam (you mus to be able to use the File->Install Plug-in or Path for update it. Otherwise, you can placed it in something like this C:\Program Files\wings3d_2.2.4\lib\wings-2.2.4\ebin)
(12-04-2019, 12:41 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe it includes mipmaps.

Yes, it does.

(12-04-2019, 12:41 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]It will be available in the next release - which I think it will be available soon.
In the mean time, in order to you can check if that fix your problem I'm going to make the file available in this link: e3d__dds.beam (you mus to be able to use the File->Install Plug-in or Path for update it. Otherwise, you can placed it in something like this C:\Program Files\wings3d_2.2.4\lib\wings-2.2.4\ebin)

Thank you sir, the fix works like a charm. I can't wait for the upcoming W3D release!
Thanks for the feedback.