Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: [solved]smoothing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it possible to turn smoothing off on all objects by default?

typically in Thea whatever the default is, its to high, also I'm messing with xNormal which also requires objects to be flat
The problem is not clear to me.
You are talking about smoothing be off and it be high in Thea...

any mesh will be smoothed by our action, by using Smooth command or via the checkbox for that in the Exporter dialog.

The way to get flat faces or sharpen edges is by setting the edges to hard using the Hardness command in selection Edge mode. In this case, some automation can be achieved by using the Auto-Smooth command wich will do that to edges connecting two faces in a minimal angle (that can be customised using the RMB option)
When I export to Thea or xNormal I have to remember to apply auto smooth on everything manually
I was hoping there was a way to set a global value (in SU its 20 degrees)

one cube is 20 degrees the other is the default
The value you input the first time via RMB option, usually is stored in preferences and used in the next time when you use the LMB option (at this moment I can't check if that is valid for auto-smooth).

I also don't remember we have an option for that in the exporters.

I thought this action would be the last step in a workflow which requires hard edges to be sent to othe apps. No one has "complaint" about this before all the years I follow the forum. Smile
Auto smooth always appears as 60 if you rmb, so I assumed it went to 60 even with lmb.. I shall test Smile

I wasn't complaining, its I'm getting old and forget things Blush

I'm still tempted to pursue a Thea exporter but this is a bit of an issue if the plan was to export, render then close Thea like the KT plugin does.
We'll see.. I think if I did decide to do a plugin it wouldn't be Thea
Quote:I wasn't complaining, its I'm getting old and forget things :Blush:
Neither it was my intention say that. As I couldn't find a better word I used it double quoted. Smile
Quote:Neither it was my intention say that. As I couldn't find a better word I used it double quoted

Its fine I was trying to make light of it too Wink

Unchecking normals in the KT exporter has the desired effect, I wasn't sure what that actually did, also just LMB auto smooth works.. so I'll amend the original post to solved Wink

Thanks for your help Smile