Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: [fixed] Information Line Freeze
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Wings 3D 2.2.5 64-bit, Windows 10 1909 x64.

OK--it's been over a decade since I played around with Wings 3D, and it's been taking me a while to get back to speed. I noticed a problem with the Information Line freezing when making Command Menu choices.

For example: I select some elements, then Right Click to open the Command Menu;

Choose an item, say, "Move", at which point the sub-menu opens;

Hover over "Normal" and the Information Line reads "Move each element along its Normal..."

At this point the Information Line freezes and does not change when I select "Normal"; it should read "L: Accept__R: Cancel__[Tab] ..." In fact if you repeatedly Left (or Right) click followed by "D", eventually the Information Line will read correctly. This behavior is typical of most Command Menu options.

For what it's worth, the 32-bit version behaves the same. I also tried various Windows compatibility modes. Finally, I fired up a copy of version 1.4.1, and that behaved correctly!
I think you want to mean the tooltip or information ballon, not the information line (that one on the bottom of the window). I just checked that the information line is still fine.

That was reported in this thread: [standby] Toolstip shows up only for the first menu item presentation (there are attached images)
A fix was made, but it will be available in the next release (soon, I wish).
No, I mean the information line at the bottom left of the window. This is after "Normal" has been selected, and the "move" is active:
[attachment=607]
That's is the correct behaviour during a command action. On the top of the Geometry window you will see the information about the command parameters been changed. In this case the distance (offset)
(Please note my *exasperation*):

I don't know what else I can do to make my point: at one time, many years ago, when a command mode was chosen (Normal, X, Y, whatever), the information line at the bottom of the window changed to indicate the actions of the various mouse and keyboard options. This no longer happens, at least not on my machine, unless one repeats the command (D), and even this is unreliable. If this is the "correct behavior", so be it; as a "re-newbie", it is confusing for the information line to present erroneous options and not the applicable options. For instance, it took me forever to stumble on the use of the [Tab] key to define an exact Rotation, as this option is not displayed:
[attachment=608]
Quote:(Please note my *exasperation*):
Noticed! Smile

Ok, I had some time to check it closer. I understood you now.

Since I was looking to the images you post and at first sight I didn't realise what about you were talking. Since the information line is responsible for every command during the menu selection that "frozen" idea was not fitting to me. Also, the fact you said only 1.4.5 was OK didn't help. I checked v2.2.4 and it displays the information correctly.

Interesting I already have missing the extra information line info - those available sometimes in the Right corner of it, but didn't realise the left one was omitting something. It seems to respond correctly when asking for each parameter as in Intersect command for instance.

Thanks for report that and you can calm down now. Smile
Thank you.

For what it's worth, I did come up with a workaround: After selecting a command mode ("Normal", "X", etc.), immediately Right Click to Cancel (note that the Information Line does not change when you do this); move the pointer over the model, causing the Information Line to change to the Selection Options; press [D]. You're now back to your original mode selection, with the correct Information Line options displayed.
Since we should have a delay for the new release be available, due the current circumstances (caused by COVID-19), I'm making available the file wings_wm.beam to patch the original one in your current Wings3D v2.2.5 install.

p.s. Use the File->Install Plug-in and Patches to update this file and then restart Wings3D. Check the Patches/Fixes for Wings3D and check for v2.2.5.
Works great! Thanks!
It works fine, but gave an error when opening Wings3d (easy to fix by copying the .PNG).
Code:
10:52:16: can't open file 'c:/Users/jovec/AppData/Local/Wings3D/2.2.5/patches/wings_icon_379x379.png' (error 2: el sistema no puede encontrar el archivo especificado.)
10:52:16: Failed to load image from file "c:/Users/jovec/AppData/Local/Wings3D/2.2.5/patches/wings_icon_379x379.png".
Pages: 1 2