Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Another Yafaray question - image background
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
That worked. Thanks!
You are welcome. Glad it worked.

oort
I updated the Yafaray supported features document listed above in order to clarify where the background settings are and to list versions required for Alpha background and SSS support.

Edit: I updated the document again to list YafaRay 3.3.0 specifically since there is now a version 3.4.1 out that is not compatible with the plugin.

oort
I was able to get YafaRay 3.4.1 to work with Wings3D. It is not working perfectly since it is a development version. I do not have time to test all of my example files but the ones that are not working as well are the Glass Marbles, Glass Rings, Diamonds and Prism examples. If anyone is interested and to avoid adding to this thread I have added a post in the following thread. Wings3D YafaRay thread

There are notes in that thread on how to get the new version of YafaRay to work with Wings3D.
oort
Sorry to post in this thread again but there is now a version 3.4.4 of YafaRay that is working as well as 3.3.0 even in the files I had issues with in my previous post.

oort
I'm trying to render in Yafaray with custom background images, but every time I put a background in, it renders with the image massively zoomed in, defeating the purpose of adding the image.

Is there a way to render in Yafray with the background image at a reasonable magnification? Like perhaps turning the tile-size down or something? I can't seem to find a slider or input box to change that.

For some context, I'm adding the background images via an Ambient Light set to "Image" for it's background.
The background for ambient light will work as an environment map - it will be put around the scene. So, if it's too small the image will become poor.

If you want the image to be in the background of your camera view you have the option to use a image plane for that (will need to adjust its material, since it should not be reflective, emissive, ... - it should be neuter); or you can just render your image with a transparent background (render settings) and merge both using a 3rd part software like Gimp.

The background in the ambient light can be enabled to enlight the scene. Check these samples:
[Image: yafaray-background.png]
Ok, that makes sense. Yeah, Enlight is really helpful. I'll try to use the image plane and GIMP to see which one works better.

Another question: is it possible to render an object so it's visible, but does not interfere with lights or cast shadows?
Sorry for the delay.
I'm not the Yafaray expert (oort is the guy), so I had to check some code to be sure about what to answer you.

Quote:Another question: is it possible to render an object so it's visible, but does not interfere with lights or cast shadows?
I found there is no option related to shadows available in the plugin as well I found they was removed in 2015 by oort because it seems to not be supported in that time.

Then, I took a look at the libYafaray source code and found it supports information about cast or not cast shadows. So, now we need to add these properties back to the plugin and it should take a while for that. I contacted david.bluecame (Yafaray maintainer) just to be sure I'm not wrong and depending of his answer I should be making the changes soon. In this case, I will let you know when a plugin update will be available.
Micheus,
At this point in time I think you are just as much an expert on YafaRay as I am. Smile

Great explanation on backgrounds in the ambient light.

Using Gimp to add the background may be the best way. Otherwise you may have issues with shadows from the image plane in the background.

From what I remember, the cast shadow option used to be in some of the lights (Spot and Area light I think). The option was in the old YafRAY 0.0.9 (which is obsolete/no longer developed).

YafaRay does have the Transparent Shadows setting in Render Options that can be used with glass that has the fake shadows option enabled or with transparency maps.

Spot lights can be set to "Photon only" so that they do not cast a shadow.

I cannot remember if David Bluecame ever added a cast shadows option to materials or the object parameter within material settings. I think this feature was requested. Hopefully you will get a response from him.

VictorLincolnPine,
Glad to see you are using YafaRay. Great job on the image you submitted for the splash screen contest.

oort
Pages: 1 2 3