Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Ruler Suggestion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So from what I now Wings doesn't have a way of measuring objects (other than counting grid squares). This is not a problem when designing normal use stuff but it becomes kind of s problem when trying to design for 3D printing. It could be great if there were a ruler that can be spawned with the right click menu. Before spawning, it could ask you how long do you want it to be and there could be two types for cm's and inches. Or another quick way of measuring lenghts rather than a ruler.

If there is already a way of doing this, I would like to know.
The grid squares are know as WU (Wings3D Unit) and it isn't related to any measurement system - just an unit.
So, you can make your work by considering it cm/inch/m/km/... and find the relationship with the app you are going to load it.

By testing, an user found that 1WU correspond to 1mm for his 3D printer (Makerbot Replicator 2) when the project is exported to STL format - post.

The Collada exporter allow us to select which the correlation of a metric system and WU. We can can specify Centimeter, Decimeter, or Meter.

Other exporters allow us to use a scale for import and export.

If you want to adjust an object to specific size before export you can use the Bounding Box commands.
For instance: you have an object 3.3 WU long in Z axis and want it to be 4.0;
You can do this:
- Be sure it is a unique object (combine if needed);
- Select the object;
- Go to Tools->Bounding Box->Save Bounding Box; (this will put a green frame around your object)
- Go to Tools->Bounding Box->Bounding Box.... In the show dialog look for "BB Dimensions" and in "Z" edit box type 4.0;
- Now, got to Tools->Bounding Box->Scale to Saved BB Proportionally->Z.

This way, all dimensions of your object will be scaled proportionally and ensuring the object will have the exact length in the Z axis.
Quote:By testing, an user found that 1WU correspond to 1mm for his 3D printer (Makerbot Replicator 2) when the project is exported to STL format - post.
Yes I saw that thread. That is why I said 'counting the grid squares'.
I didn't know about the bounding box commands. That will help. Thanks!