Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Linux noticeably smoother on AMD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am running Wings on 4 systems:
- A: Windows & nVidia
- B: Debian Linux & nVidia (current closed source drivers)
- C: Solus Linux & AMD (mesa GL / open source drivers)
- D: PopOS/Ubuntu Linux & nVidia (current closed source drivers)

A runs excellent.
C runs excellent as well.
B and D run OK, but rotating the camera is not anywhere as smooth as on Windows. I have no geometry loaded, I am just rotating the empty grid.

This is a strange experience, especially since the closed source nVidia drivers on Linux are essentially a necessity if you want to run games or other 3D applications like Substance Painter or Blender well. Furthermore I am astonished that the open source AMD driver renders Wings so fluently, since these drivers have very mixed results with Steam games and produce horrible artifacts in Substance Painter.

What I am asking is this:
- Is this somewhat worse performance on Linux+nVidia a known issue, or does it just happen for me?
- Is Wings on Linux particularly optimized for AMD and Mesa?
- Any tips for getting an equally smooth output on nVidia just as on AMD?
Hi broozar.

I cannot answer mush about Linux use since I'm a Windows user. But, I would like to ask if in these cases the mouse you are using is always the same. I'm asking because we already know that mice with high DPI/Polling rate uses to cause this "uncontrollable" camera issue. There is a thread about that: Jerky mouse on Linux

[EDIT]
I just saw you another post.
There you said your mouse is the Rival 300. It has a polling rate of 1000Hz and max DPI of 6500.

If you can control these parameters by software you may have a better experience (on linux there is one possibility I post in that thread).
Values of 2400DPI and polling rate of 500Hz usually are the "limite" to keep the mouse control. (based on my mouse experiment)
You are correct, I made this post and I do have these mice on nearly all my systems. After you solved my issue in this previous post, I set the polling rate on all of them to 125.
Apart from that, systems C and D share the exact same peripherals, as they are connected via a KVM/USB hub.

I don't have lag, I don't have input problems, it just feels choppier, as if I was running with a lot lower FPS. I will try to verify if this really is an FPS issue and report back.

Test setup: galliumHUD on AMD, driver overlay on nVidia, moving the mouse around in circles in Wings for a few seconds.

I can confirm that the nVidia cards are running at 50 fps max, and framerate is not too stable. AMD is very smooth at VSYNC. So indeed this appears to be a framerate issue.
Just to be clear, that's 50 fps on a 75Hz display. The difference in smoothness is quite noticable in comparison with all other 3D applications.