Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Tutorial aaBT1s "Making A Table" step 9 D max = 1; 4 not possible
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Wings3D 2.2.6.1 just dl'd and installed 210414 Windows 10 64bit

Tutorial BT1 "Making a Table"
http://www.wings3d.com/paulthepuzzles/aaBT1s.html

ss_W3D_aaBT1s_210414b.html = Tutorial webpage screenshot
ss_W3D_aaBT1s_210414a1.pdf = Wings3D ss

After following and checking all steps in sequence, step 9 says "... D = 4 ..." in the bevel operation. In the box, then slab, I get, the maximum D is only 1. There is no way to get D = 4 as step 9 states. I did not see any specific instruction to enlarge the box in any way, only chop it up. The rest of the steps that include units do not match the actual modeling in w3d.
Anyone have some insight into what I missed?
Thanks a bunch.

[attachment=643]

[attachment=644]
Hi wings3d2021a00. Welcome to our community.

I cant test it now, but at first sight you are right about not be able for find D=4 since in the default cube each edge is two units long.

Anyway, in this case, you can adjust it based on the proportions you see in the image - the remain segment is as long as the "table thickness". Smile

p.s. I needed to edit your post in order to put the correct link to the PP tutorial page.
as for the attachments, I recommend you to use an external provider for image (for instance), because the forum provide only 300kb. You can check Ways to share your images to use Google Drive or Dropbox to share images and files.
Ok, today I could check it at the Wings3D.

To get that proportions a good dimension is 0.8 (which will match with needs in the step 13) and you will need to repeat that in the step 12.
This should be the tutorial page I was referring to and the instructions. The image sharing info seems to not match google drive as this is the entire link below for you to open if desired. Thank you.

As for the dimensions, yes, I can "compensate" but that's another roadblock to me learning the software. If I can not reproduce the educational material, then it is not as valuable as it could be. This seems to be a theme w/ these 3d modeling software packs. I am on my 20th one now and have wasted months trying to learn software that I have no hope of learning in less than 10 years. Sorry for the editorial but if you have frustrating instructions and guides then why should I bother?

Again, google drive does not match your instructions, either.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/19gPZCqP7RiWuxros0YRjBJu0oBl8-6yK/view?usp=sharing
wings3d2021a00 Wrote:This should be the tutorial page I was referring to and the instructions. The image sharing info seems to not match google drive as this is the entire link below for you to open if desired.
You are right and I just updated the instructions. Now that is the only link style that Google is generating, but you can try the old link I put there with was using '/open' and still works. Smile

Anyway, the important information in that post is the reference to the ID they use - which I bold it in the link in your post.
You must to use the gdrive tag and that ID as shown in that instructions.

... and now, the image is shown exactly the page link I fixed in your first post.

wings3d2021a00 Wrote:As for the dimensions, yes, I can "compensate" but that's another roadblock to me learning the software. If I can not reproduce the educational material, then it is not as valuable as it could be.
When I first started to access the old forum, back to 2009, this set of tutorials were already a legend (it was shared there in 2003). It's old, but all it's concept and commands should be valid. I don't know if someone someday already reported this kind of minor error, but I'll try to fix it ASAP.

Keep going. By following the puzzledPaul tutorials you must get the way Wings3D works - they are good for that.

Even if you decide to check some video tutorials, you probably will face many using old versions of Wings3D - in this case, the concept and commands are still the same, just they may look a little different due to the UI changes.

I'm going to let an example here in this tutorial to make a table too: Wings3D Tutorial - Beginners, Model a Simple Table by VscorpianC
Thank you for the valuable help. Your responsiveness is a breath of fresh air.

My experience shows getting the expected result leads to less confusion. The student should not have to translate / troubleshoot the masters' teachings. The information and info are much appreciated. I do plan to continue now that I see some willingness to actually provide non-trivial assistance. Thanks.
Few free to ask questions.
I use to check the forum many time a day from my phone, but If I need Wings3D to check any problem then sometimes I do that in the next day. Smile