Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Wings with SpaceOrb / Joystick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Years ago I got myself a SpaceOrb 3D 6-axis game controller. I thought it wasn't that great at the time, but I still have it and it's apparently a pretty straightforward joystick-like thing that connects to a serial port and has a few additional buttons.

Is there a chance I can use Wings with my thingy?

Alternatively, being able to connect a second mouse could be helpful
engrenage Wrote:Is there a chance I can use Wings with my thingy?
Dedicated input devices usually requires a proper driver and code to handle their information.

It's like for tablets device. Some can be used with Wings3D, but there is no guarantee they will work 100% because it really was not designed (coded) to use specific inputs. And in order to do that the programmers must to have access to them (own one).
this seems fallacious to me.

I first tried my "spaceorb" with the game "descent" ; the controller probably didn't even exist at the time the game was released, yet it was still recognized as a joystick and - same thing as using the mouse - you could tell the game "this button does this, this axis does that, ...."

I'm pretty sure comm protocol for joysticks is a standard.

this night be of interest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_port
Anyway, still need to process an nós standard input device like a mouse or keyboard. Dedicated code to handle joystick input will need to be written.