Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: repeating the same type of action on a different point/surface/vertex
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
while doing my thing, I've bee repeatedly selecting some features, them right click for menu, move, planar, Z.

I whish it was possible to tell wings "now that I've selected another set of features, let me do the same _type_ of transform as last time.

a "buffer" (think of vim buffers...) to store a set of frequently used transforms/instructions/actions would be a nice addition.

and while I'm talking about vim, I realize Wings works in a quite similar way to it in the sense that it has a "command" mode and an "edit" mode. so to quickly get Wings to do this or that, typing "phrases" or "words" as a sequence instead of simply hotkeys would be amazing. an example for the above situation:

1) select the features that need to be changed
2) on the keyboard, hit the following sequence of keys:

mpz

m stands for move, p for plannar, z for.. well z is z.

3) move the features around.

while moving features, it would be much appreciated to be able to invert one or the other axii relative to the pointing device (most useful when working on the underside of an object)
You are talking about something like a script/macro commands. That is something that come time to time in discussion, but never was really implemented.

There is an external script tool that can be used for batch processing files. It's a command line available in the Wings3D install dir.

I see a problem in that because for many commands you need more than a selection as input - you may need to inform a position, an angle, a vector, ...
I see that as hard to handle since the user will need to be prompt to enter these information.

and when I see this suggestion:
engrenage Wrote:1) select the features that need to be changed
2) on the keyboard, hit the following sequence of keys:

mpz

m stands for move, p for plannar, z for.. well z is z.

3) move the features around.
you have to agree you are going to do exactly these steps when you are using hotkeys: select something, hit the hotkey for each command and input the parameters as needed.
In this case, you just need to assume you have to assign those keys for each command you mentioned.
on the contrary, that seems very simple to me.

I select a few features, then right-click to have the menu show up then select an action (for instance "move"), then a sub-action (move on plane, move on plane defined by Z).

it would be really nice to save all these menu selections : just a shortcut to "do the same thing (interactively or not)" with the new selection
You are seeing only the simple and direct action.
If you need to pick an axis and/or reference points then things can change and I can't see an "universal" solution for this right now. Maybe I would need think more about it (when have time)