Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Set default Axis/Point
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, i am pretty fresh to this stuff so Wings3D seems like a right place to get started. I have been playing around with Wings3D lately and could not figure out how set default axis/point works and is used properly. Please walk me through it. Thanks a lot !
Hi Theob, welcome to our small community. Smile

Theob Wrote:... could not figure out how set default axis/point works
I'm not sure the answer is about what you are looking for, but in main menu Tools you are going to find the Set Default Axis option which will allow you to set these references to be used in the commands like move, scale and rotate where you can find the "default axis" option available.

I have the felling you were asking about an option like the gizmos/manipulators we find in other 3D app:

If so, there is no such thing in Wings3D. In case of need for non standard axis operations we have the option to pick them (axis and reference point) by choosing the commands using different mouse buttons (check the Information line for that)
Thank you Mecheus, i am glad that i found out wings 3D to get a hang on 3D modelling. Also thank you for the infos. Actually, i tried what you said and kind of getting there. But when i set the default axis with enabled tweak tool. The selections still moved with the original coordinates instead of the the new default axis. I may be missing something. Am i right or it just does not apply in tweak mode ?
Theob Wrote:i tried what you said and kind of getting there. But when i set the default axis with enabled tweak tool. The selections still moved with the original coordinates instead of the the new default axis.
I din't used that before, but now you asked about I took a look it.

First, be sure to not be using any of the regular axis constrains (F1,F2,F3).
Then, choose the Tweak->Axis Constraints->Default Axis to apply the Move or Scale operations using it.

Maybe the problem would be you switching to the other constrains (like using F1,F2,F3). That disable the Default Axis mode.

If you intend to use Default Axis constrain regularly, then you may consider to assign a hotkey to it (like [T]). This way you are going to see this indication next to the F1,F2,F3 on top of the geometry window when Tweak is active.
thanks a lot for your help ?. Especially, the tip of hotkey is great. I will definitely try that out. On the other hand, when i tried it again the problem still persisted. I mean with only the constraint set to default axis, the object still moved freely instead of being locked to the default axis direction. Perhaps you could try it and see. I am still discovering the programs so i am checking every command up.
***PS: sorry for the email reply
  • 1Update: it works with face, edge, vertex but not object Smile
I was about to confirm that. Smile

I can check it that is a feature or a bug and fix it - if it's the case.
Anyway, it seems you can select the object and switch to vertex mode (for instance) and use the default axis.
Hi Micheus, that s true it works totally fine that way. After trying all the tweak commands with body selection, the only thing works is using Move on X or Y or Z. The rest wouldn't create any constrain to selecting object. It will just moves freely. Anyways, this is just a little infos for you to test when you get sometimes. Thank you for replying ?
Yeah.

I'm going to check that. Thanks.