Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: How do i make the texture visible on the object?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well, my question is how to make the texture visible like in this screenshot here: https://ibb.co/J3kPSfM

when i replace the auvBG.dds file and do uv-mapping i can see the texture, but how can i see it instantly,
without doing uv-mapping?
mik_igra Wrote:when i replace the auvBG.dds file and do uv-mapping i can see the texture, but how can i see it instantly, without doing uv-mapping?
I don't know if I understood you correctly, but without uv-mapping it wouldn't be possible.
Wings3D doesn't create the UV data automatically and in order to get a texture (image) applied to certain pieces of the 3D mesh we need the respective translation between the image 2D coordinate to the 3D mesh coordinate.

But, we can use some automation in the AutoUV Segmenting (like in Segment By->Feature Detection to define the cut on the mesh) and after apply Unfolding you get it ready and then can export the texture to be painted.

But, if you want to use an existing image, then you probably will need to make the unwrapped mesh to match the image - and in this case the cut will need to be done manually.

Just in case: "What is UV Mapping & Unwrapping?" (the concept is valid to Wings3D too).
that makes things complicated, the uv-data on the faces is configurated fine and wings also find the coordinates, when i click on uv-mapping its on the correct place at the texture, i just want to see the texture on all faces before doing so.
mik_igra Wrote:the uv-data on the faces is configurated fine and wings also find the coordinates, when i click on uv-mapping its on the correct place at the texture, i just want to see the texture on all faces before doing so.
Hummm, it seems you might be experiencing something related to visualization only. It's hard to understand after what you just wrote (red).

Can you try to show that recording the screenshot?
1) Assign the texture to the material the faces have (Use Window/Outliner to drag and drop image to material of those face)

2) Make sure that View/Show/Show Textures are enabled
@Micheus Yes it it about visualization only, the screenshot on the right side is from an exporter program which is not related to Wings3d. In this program you can see the object with the texture, so i took a screenshot of it as an example how i would like to see it in Wings3d.

i dropped it in Window/Outliner, but still the texture doesn't show up, something more to be done?
It looks like this: https://ibb.co/v1s5wp3
When i click on UV-mapping it looks like this: https://ibb.co/9Z4V1MB
You must drag-and-drop the helm-22.dds image to the helm_22 (or default) material and set it as base color in the new popmenu.

I.e. grab (left mouse button) the "helm-22.dds" image name in the outliner and drop it (release the mouse button) on the "helm_22" material on the outliner, that should popup a new menu asking for what the type of texture it is.
It Worked!

"Use Window/Outliner to drag and drop image to material of those face"

"grab (left mouse button) the "helm-22.dds" image name in the outliner and drop it (release the mouse button) on the "helm_22" material on the outliner, that should popup a new menu asking for what the type of texture it is."

Thank you so much! Now i can see the texture :-).