Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Wings closing itself after i open it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I open the application, in less than 10 seconds, it closes on its own. In the moments that the application is running, I can see the buttons for object, edge, and vertices manipulation, as well as a what appears to be an image of a 3d model of a racecar, if that helps at all.

This may very well not be a bug so much as it is an issue on my end, as my PC is certifiably a potato.

According to System Information, under System Summary, the OS is Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044, System Type x64-Based PC. As for my graphics card, I'll just copy what seems applicable, since I don't understand what these mean: Adapter Type is Intel® HD Graphics (Core i5), Intel Corporation compatible, Adapter Description is Intel® HD Graphics, Driver Version is 8.15.10.2900, and Bits/Pixels is 32. I have verified this issue on both 2.2.9 as well as 2.2.8.

It seems odd to me that the System Type is x64-Based, but the Bits/Pixels is 32. Could this be causing issues?
Code:
System: x64-Based PC
GPU: IntelĀ® HD Graphics (i5)
These settings shouldn't be a problem. I have it running in a similar setup, but with a i3.

Something else must be causing that.

Did you have ever installed an old version of Wings3D before install these two versions?
If so, please consider to remove the old preferences.txt file and try to start again. You find this file at the user profile's folder (C:/Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/Wings3D/Preferences.txt).

If that was not the case...
Did you get any file named wings_crash.dump on your desktop? or can you find any
Erlang crash dump file at (something like) "C:\Program Files\wings3d_2.2.8\bin\erl_crash.dump"?
I've not installed any version of Wings in the past, as I just recently learned about it. I also seem to have no files by either of those names.
Please, try to run it like shown in this post and report the result like in that following post.
Starting Wings using Erlang gives basically the same results; Wings opens for just a moment, then both Wings and Erlang close. I can see that some text appears on Erlang once Wings opens, but due to how quickly it closes, and because the Wings 3D window obscures it, I can neither read what it says, nor have time to copy the text.

I also tried running the program as administrator, and installing the 32bit version instead, but neither solved the issue.
Sorry for the delay. It's hard to think about what to do for something like this;

Quote:Starting Wings using Erlang gives basically the same results; Wings opens for just a moment, then both Wings and Erlang close. I can see that some text appears on Erlang once Wings opens, but due to how quickly it closes, ...
Please try this: still by starting werl.exe, but before run the wingsConfusedtart(), use menu File->Open Logfile... to get the file erlshell.log created somewhere you define. It's possible it record the text before the total crash.

Also, even you didn't used previous version of Wings3D, please check if the preferences.txt file was created during the first fail. Look at this folder: C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Wings3D

Another thing that maybe you would try to do is to force the MSV runtime library that came with the installer to be installed/modified. The installer will let this option unchecked if it is already installed, but in the past doing this process helped other user to run Wings3D.

And, as a last option that came out my mind now it would be try to run Wings3D in compatibility mode. Maybe you can try Windows 7.
I have a similar problem and setup and by following the steps I was able to get the following error:

2023-02-01T09:51:36.953000-03:00 error: wx: error message: wxWidgets Assert failure: ..\..\src\msw\glcanvas.cpp(786): "Assent failure"" in wxGLCanvas::Create(): Can't find a pixel format for the requested attributes
2023-02-01T09:51:37.180000-03:00 error: wx: error Drive message: wxWidgets Assert failure: ..\..\src\msw\glcanvas.cpp(593): ""tempCo ntext"" in wxGLContext::wxGLContext() wglCreateContext failed! SBwg1GetCurrentContext is not set this will not work

I stil didin't resolve it.
Hi Sprt204

This error is happening in a third-part library (wxWidgets) which is complicated to track. Although it seems to be related to the graphic driver (and the Intel one has a long history of issues related to that)

We can eventually get a tip of it if we find where it was started from the Wings3D side.

Please, just confirm with version of Wings3D are you using and can you ran the test I asked CrimsonCapricor188 for in the post#6?