Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Radial = diameter & Slow resources
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I create a new sphere and I have the radial set to 2.0 and I set Y to 2.0, it raises the sphere 1.0 above ground. When I set Y to 1.0, it sets the sphere on the ground. Radial is half the diameter. You need to either rephrase by replacing "radial" by "diameter" or the sphere diameter should be twice that of the radius. I would also opt for "radius" over "radial."

When I create a sphere with a 512 Sections x 512 Slices subdivision, the program can somehow get really slow. I don’t really get what resources I cause it to burn. The rest of the computer keeps working just fine. Is there something I need to know about the typical number of sections and slices one should employ?
Hi e.m.hobo

Quote:When I create a new sphere and I have the radial set to 2.0 and I set Y to 2.0, it raises the sphere 1.0 above ground. When I set Y to 1.0, it sets the sphere on the ground. Radial is half the diameter. You need to either rephrase by replacing "radial" by "diameter" or the sphere diameter should be twice that of the radius. I would also opt for "radius" over "radial."
Indeed. Changing the label will make sence.

Quote:When I create a sphere with a 512 Sections x 512 Slices subdivision, the program can somehow get really slow. I don’t really get what resources I cause it to burn. The rest of the computer keeps working just fine. Is there something I need to know about the typical number of sections and slices one should employ?
That produce a sphere with 260K vertices and in preview mode it can be drawn a couple of times for every parameter you change - and that will happen after each one be processed. This can give us felling of Wings3D is hanging even the system is running fine - no 100% CPU usage.

This slow processing can varying depending on your PC setup (processor, graphic card,...) - old ones are going to have bad response. But, it really can be noticed for very dense objects. Overall it uses to not be usual.

Just curious about why do you need a such dense sphere as start point?
The box modelling technic is about start simple and then turn it complex like in this old example (It's Mirai which Wings3D was based on):
Hey Micheus! Thank you for changing the label. Other than that, I still have a lot to learn. Too pretty too soon may have been a mistake. I just don’t want to turn into one of those people that gets the audience to go, “Ugh! I can totally see it’s animated!” because supposed to be round surfaces basically look like polygons also in the finished product. I’ve seen that a lot and just feel it’s nasty. Thanks for the video. I’ll take a look. Pretty awesome how much time you take to respond.