Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: [fixed] Quirky/Confusing glTF export process (and more)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Go to File -> Export -> glTF(.gltf|.glb)...
In newly opened "gl Transmission Format Export Otions" window select File type:
- glTF binary (*.glb)
- gl Transmission Format (*.gltf)
Click OK.
New "Export" window opens, where File type by default set to "All Formats (*.glb;*.gltf)".
Keep "All Formats (*.glb;*.gltf)" as it is, add file name and save.
If in previous window you choose .glb then you will get your .glb file.
If in previous window you choose .gltf then you get .bin file and .glb file (.glb file is broken and fails to open in default windows 3d viewer).
So if you need .gltf file you need to choose it in second export window (where you specify file name).

But, for example, in Cartoon edges exporter, if you choose .svg or .eps file in the export options it will show you only one selected file type in the second export window. Which is logical, in my opinion.

Some random observations.
1. Regarding cartoon edges exporter.
I have 1366x768 screen resolution and "Cartoon edges Render Options (ESP/SVG)" window is cropped at the bottom and some options are inaccessible. It needs scroll bar on the side or layout rearrangement.
2. When exporting .gltf/.glb file and metal/roughness maps were not made internal wings creates another file (arm file I think) beside your textures with "_met_rough" at the end.
3. If textures were not made internal then they will not be exported with .obj/.dae (and maybe other) files. (this is probably by design). So when your file has textures and you export to .gltf it creates broken file. (because images were not made internal.)
Observation 4:
Material names should not have spaces in them. Because of spaces in names (.mtl file syntax), after exporting model to .obj, some materials are not shown. So if during the export process, spaces in the material names were automatically replaced with underscores, it would improve user experience.
We are not in gltf subject anymore, but I got it. Smile
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to take a look on them.
Yeah, sorry about that. I thought writing "(and more)" will do the trick Shy
No problem.
Just keeping the subjects (bugs) separate help to manage them here.
Let's go in parts (trying to organise the subjects)

glTF
Quote:New "Export" window opens, where File type by default set to "All Formats (*.glb;*.gltf)".
Keep "All Formats (*.glb;*.gltf)" as it is, add file name and save.
:
I fixed this in the file selector and in my tests this weird behaviour.
The glb file was load correctly by Windows' 3D viewer as well.

Quote:2. When exporting .gltf/.glb file and metal/roughness maps were not made internal wings creates another file (arm file I think) beside your textures with "_met_rough" at the end.
3. If textures were not made internal then they will not be exported with .obj/.dae (and maybe other) files. (this is probably by design). So when your file has textures and you export to .gltf it creates broken file. (because images were not made internal.)
the glTF requires that ("_met_rough") (ref): "The textures for metalness and roughness properties are packed together in a single texture called metallicRoughnessTexture."
I just checked and it doesn't matter if the textures are internal ou external. If we choose the glTF format as output this packed image is created to be sent with the other files.
But, yeah, maybe the full metallic and roughness images doesn't need to be created or, since they were created, they would be made external.

I think they all are saved for code simplification (only dgud can confirm that). But, make it external must be an user assignment because we can create a dedicated folder to export these glTF files and all files will be put there. But, if we make the textures external and let them under the project folder (the usual), then when we export to that folder only the necessary metal_rough image file will be there with the .bin and .gltf files (because the others images already have their place).

The thing is to remember that if there is a metal_rough file present then ignore the individual ones when sharing/uploading the files.

I'm going to check the cartoon edges exporter dialog tomorrow and see what we can do regards to the window height.
Quote:I fixed this in the file selector and in my tests this weird behaviour.
Sweet Biggrin
Quote:I just checked and it doesn't matter if the textures are internal ou external. If we choose the glTF format as output this packed image is created to be sent with the other files.
I just double checked and you are right about how all the files are created.
I think i just got bewildered because it's a little different for .glb (binary) file, where all images packed inside. Probably mixed them up somehow.

And yeah, it does make sense that textures are not being exported because there is nothing to export since they are not inside the wings file.
Here is the new layout for EPS/SVG export dialog (available in the next release).

The old layout:
[Image: eps-svg-exporter0.png]

It was split up in tabs:
[Image: eps-svg-exporter1.png] [Image: eps-svg-exporter2.png] [Image: eps-svg-exporter3.png]
Looks good, better than scroll bar.