Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Import vector path; svg, eps, AI, etc?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If somebody could be so kind, could you please advise me on a workflow to import a vector path? I used to do it all the time, but I haven't found anything that works. No files are accepted; error.
Hello ctcalhoun,

There's been significant updates recently with the various vector path importers which will be in the next wings release, you can install the updated plugins in your current wings version to use them right away too:

SVG
This forum thread tracks the development of new additions to the SVG importer. This updated version to the plugin should work well with most software that export SVG. wpc_svg_path.tar is the most recent update.
http://wings3d.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3083&page=3

EPS:
This forum thread tracks updates to the EPS/PostScript importer. This importer should work well with InkScape, LibreOffice, and Illustrator. wpc_ps.tar is the most recent update.
http://wings3d.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3102

EMF/WMF
This forum thread tracks a new importer choice using windows meta files. If for some reason the SVG and EPS did not work this could be another option. This plugin should work well with many software that can export either WMF or EMF. wpc_wmf_paths.tar is the most recent update.
http://wings3d.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3082

AI:
The AI importer in wings accepts older versions of ai files. When exporting, I think it is for version 8 and below.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I really like Wings3D, but have been out of the loop for a while. Your comment is very helpful.

The .ai importer does not seem to work with what current Illustrator saves as Version 8 file, but I'll attempt it some more.

Does anybody typically import paths — what application are you saving the file from?

It really doesn't matter what file format, just as long as I can get the path in.
Oops, I might have been wrong about the version, it should actually be version 7.

InkScape should work well for exporting the path for wings. When using it to save a SVG, choose Plain SVG to maximize compatibility. Also use the "Object to path" command in the Path menu (select all paths first with Ctrl+A).
So far, working with current Adobe Illustrator, it seems like no sort of compound paths are imported. I started having success with just no filled shapes, and no compound paths. Interior paths are interpreted as negative space outwards in, seemingly logically fine. I'm actually just using .ai import. Anyway, this gets paths in.

Perhaps, I knew this years ago, and forgot that it's paths only for importing vector paths.
hi! ctcalhoun
I checked the .ai importer.
Did the .ai file that you tried to import contain gradients?
if filled a gradation object(s) is(are) exist in the artwork,Wings3D can't import it.
use fill color instead of gradation,Then you can load it.

It also Wings3D can import Illustrator 8,3,3J format files (Probably 5.5,too)
(Color/Gray gradation caused to open error dialog of Wings3D)

I hope it helps for you Smile