Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: AMF (Additive Manufacturing) plugin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I've recently put together an AMF (additive manufacturing) importer and exporter. It might need still some testing.

wpc_amf.tar

When exporting, different manifold volumes of an object can be indicated by having a common name before a colon (example an object pyramid with volumes pyramid:leftside and pyramid:rightside).
edb, thanks for sharing this new plugin.

I'm new to 3D printing world, so I'm going to ask you...
I saw this format is like an "upgrade" to STL file format. Is there any specific application of it then 3D printing? (like CNC routers too)
Hello micheus,

I think AMF's biggest feature over STL is having different parts of the object the slicer can know are made from different materials/filaments, for 3D printers that can print from more than one filament at a time. From what I've read it is doable with STL but each part has to be exported to separate STL files for each kind of material and then re-entered together again at the slicer software. AMF also has complex color features like gradients and bitmaps can be mapped to the faces but printers with those capabilities aren't as common. It could be it might be used in other applications like CNC but I wouldn't be sure
(11-30-2023, 09:53 PM)edb Wrote: [ -> ]I think AMF's biggest feature over STL is having different parts of the object the slicer can know are made from different materials/filaments, for 3D printers that can print from more than one filament at a time.
I've seen some videos and articles about some 3D printers color capable (multiple filaments printing). It seems better ones can get more affordable soon.

Thanks for the info.
New build and made a pull request.

wpc_amf.tar
I've created a tutorial on using AMF and 3MF plugins for making two material prints.