Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: How to make an vertex on crossing edges?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
See screenshot. Is there an easy way to make a vertex on the crossing of this edges? I need some vertex's on exact points on a cylinder (like: on x5, z10 and x5 z40) and made this cube as a reference. But i can't find an option to make a vertex exact there.
To create/add a vertex to a edge you should use Cut [LMB] command. And, since you want to put it in a specific location you should use the Absolute Move command. Notice that as other commands, there are three options available through the [LMB], [MMB] and [RMB].
As I understand - you need a new vertex on edge exactly in the place where it intersects with another edge.
Here is it.
Warning: orange is a selection color in this examples.

Make a reference oblect:
[Image: 00.png]

Select edge that willl be cutted:
[Image: 01.png]

Cut it in half (create new vertex):
[Image: 02.png]

Click RMBĀ  & select "Intersect [RMB]"
[Image: 03.png]

Pick edge to set direction of new vertex movement & click RMB
[Image: 04.png]

Pick vertex to move & click RMB
[Image: 05.png]

Pick plane on the reference oblect (to which we will move vertex) & click RMB
[Image: 06.png]

Pick point on edge that intersects & click RMB
[Image: 07.png]

Done.
[Image: 08.png]
I guess that it moves a vertex to intersect of plane, not edge Wink

UPD: It can be done in a more simple way.

Pick vertex to move (on target object)
Intersect [LMB]
Pick edge to set direction (on target object)
Pick plane to intersect (on reference object)
(03-10-2024, 06:32 PM)lennart Wrote: [ -> ]I need some vertex's on exact points on a cylinder (like: on x5, z10 and x5 z40) and made this cube as a reference. But i can't find an option to make a vertex exact there.
lennart, by reading this sentence I suggested you to use Absolute Command->Move [LMB] which will allow you to enter the three coordinates for the point/vertex as you had exemplified.
If these vertex in a specific location will move the cylinder or modify it's geometry that will be defined in Absolute command if you check the Move object option.

In the image, it's not clear if the two objects are in contact each other or not, and also we are seeing the viewport in perspective which mean the long selected edge on the "box" is far away from the short one on the "cylinder" - so, I believe they are not in contact.
Then, for this situation it looks like you want to create and align the vertex by using the camera projection - we don't have an option for that, but you could to approximate its location by selecting the edge you want to add the vertex and by using the Cut command [RMB] and sliding the new vertex along the edge util it match with the desired location (visually, of course).

But, if the objects are contacting each other, then the approach shown by ivla should work.

Eventually you would need give us more information, share the source file and/or show a sample of what you trying to achieve (a reference image, maybe).
(03-12-2024, 03:57 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]But, if the objects are contacting each other, then the approach shown by ivla should work.

It works always.

Oblects not contacting. Two vertices selected, left one is in the middle of edge, right is aligned with Intersect [LMB]:
[Image: 10.png]

Orthogonal view along Y axis (from above):
[Image: 11.png]
(03-12-2024, 10:19 AM)ivla Wrote: [ -> ]I guess that it moves a vertex to intersect of plane, not edge Wink

UPD: It can be done in a more simple way.

Pick vertex to move (on target object)
Intersect [LMB]
Pick edge to set direction (on target object)
Pick plane to intersect (on reference object)

Yeah, thanks, this worked. Tried also some different options to learn the program.

@ Micheus: both objects are contacting.