Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Replicating Patterns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In this tutorial, I will demonstrate how to effortlessly replicate patterns by utilizing the 'Absolute Command -> Move [MMB]' option.
This technique is particularly useful when you need to duplicate an object numerous times.

It was motivated by the nice tutorial by ivla: How to make honeycomb (flat hexagonal grid)
Which the Mirror command was used as an option; this serves as an alternative.

[Image: Replicating-Pattern-1.png] [Image: Replicating-Pattern-2.png] [Image: Replicating-Pattern-3.png]

[Image: Replicating-Pattern-4.png] [Image: Replicating-Pattern-5.png] [Image: Replicating-Pattern-6.png]

[Image: Replicating-Pattern-7.png] [Image: Replicating-Pattern-8.png] [Image: Replicating-Pattern-9.png]

[Image: Replicating-Pattern-10.png]

After filled one row we can repeat the process to replicate as many columns as we need. Depending on the pattern we may need to start by using Mirror [RMB], make some clean up and then apply the commands like above.

[Image: Replicating-Pattern-11.png]
Wow, it's great!
There are some non-obvious things when using this method. I tried to make a pattern for a brick wall.
Here is it:
[Image: 001.png]

The isolated vertices marked with red arrows are needed for welding after replication. In other words, all vertices on adjacent faces must match for successful welding.

Look at the nearest and farthest corner. Dividing the "bricks" on the short ends of the pattern by not 1/2 (1/4-3/4 to be precise) of its length is necessary for more convenient selecting of unnecessary edges to dissolve it after welding.
(04-26-2024, 12:35 PM)ivla Wrote: [ -> ]There are some non-obvious things when using this method. I tried to make a pattern for a brick wall.
:
:
The isolated vertices marked with red arrows are needed for welding after replication. In other words, all vertices on adjacent faces must match for successful welding.

Look at the nearest and farthest corner. Dividing the "bricks" on the short ends of the pattern by not 1/2 (1/4-3/4 to be precise) of its length is necessary for more convenient selecting of unnecessary edges to dissolve it after welding.
I'm not sure I understood your point.
In the image you is shown I consider it - as it is - a pattern which you can apply this method to replicate it faster then using Mirror or Duplicate singly.

Of course, when you are creating a pattern you must to consider things like those orphans vertices to be used with Weld command.
(04-26-2024, 06:24 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure I understood your point.
First point is about those isolated vertices for welding.

Second is about choosing a place for the border of the pattern:
[Image: 002.png]
After first duplication (by Z) and welding there is no edges to delete - the border of pattern is an element of this pattern.

[Image: 003.png]
After second (by X) there will be an edge loops that does not match any pattern element so it can be easily selected for dissolving.

[Image: 004.png]
This pattern is worse because its border is partially match the pattern elements - so the selection an edges to delete after replication and welding is far more complicated.
[Image: 005.png]

(orange is a selection color!)
Other non-obvious thing: If pattern is not rectangular, then will be no edges to delete after duplicating and welding....
[Image: 001.png]
Lets try this...
(04-27-2024, 03:13 AM)ivla Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-26-2024, 06:24 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure I understood your point.
First point is about those isolated vertices for welding.
When we are talking about patterns we are talking about "planning".
So, we need to predict if we need to leave "extra" vertices thinking forward when we are going to weld the replicated pattern. Just in case we need that, because if it's OK we just Combine the objects, then there is no need for that.

ivla Wrote:This pattern is worse because its border is partially match the pattern elements - so the selection an edges to delete after replication and welding is far more complicated.
[Image: 005.png]
Not necessarily. Smile
I believe you are going to find a really trick one soon, but this one still have a solution. Just change the way you select the boundaries region to clean up:

[Image: Replicating-Pattern-12.png] [Image: Replicating-Pattern-13.png] [Image: Replicating-Pattern-14.png]

My goal here was to show a easy way to replicate objects using the Absolute Commands->Move [MMB] - which I used the pattern idea, but it can be applied to other goals.

It's possible to use the Absolute Commands->Snap [RMB] too, which has other extra option. Both can be considered commands of Array Tools which we see in other 3D apps.
Thanks micheus!