Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Exact length of a rotated edge ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

First, this is my first post. I stumbled upon Wings 3D and i like it so far. As a newbie i was wondering, why isn't there a newbie-section ;-)?

Here's my question
The selected edge in the screenshot has a length of 8.980256. It's positioned 45 degrees on the X/Z-axis. The length should be exactly 9

How can i enter the exact data? When i open 'absolute commands' >> 'scale', i see only the X,Y,Z-related data (e.g. the scale depends on the X,Y and Z-axis.)

A solution is to turn the object 45 degrees back, scale and rotate again. Problem solved. But maybe there's a smarter way.

Is it possible to enter directly the length of an edge, even when it's rotated? In this case it is 45 degrees. It could be also 36, 28 or 360 ;-)
Select Edge
Edge | Scale Axis > mmb or rmb option (depending on where you want your origin)
Start op
press tab for input data option
enter relevant data into dialog and ok

here, it'd be 9*100/8.980256 ... which'll scale it to end up as 9 units.

Note that rmb option will assume you want to use the mid point of the edge as the origin / scaling centre, whereas mmb option will let you choose either end vert ... or, in fact any other bit of geom anywhere on your model Smile

pp
Numeric Input window
has fine math possibilities! Smile
Cant live without it and Absolute Commands.
Tnx for the quick answer!

(06-10-2013, 10:32 PM)puzzledpaul Wrote: [ -> ]Select Edge
Edge | Scale Axis > mmb or rmb option (depending on where you want your origin)
Start op
I can follow it til 'start op'. What does OP mean?
Quote:press tab for input data option
enter relevant data into dialog and ok

here, it'd be 9*100/8.980256 ... which'll scale it to end up as 9 units.
Why can't you enter exact measurements when % is possible?? I get the workflow, but don't see the point to work only with %.
Quote:Note that rmb option will assume you want to use the mid point of the edge as the origin / scaling centre, whereas mmb option will let you choose either end vert ... or, in fact any other bit of geom anywhere on your model Smile

pp

(06-11-2013, 01:18 AM)Fonte Boa Wrote: [ -> ]Numeric Input window
has fine math possibilities! Smile
Cant live without it and Absolute Commands.
Where can i find the Numeric Input Window?
Quote:I can follow it til 'start op'. What does OP mean?
Start op

Start the operation (Execute), by dragging the mosue

Quote:Where can i find the Numeric Input Window?

After start operation, hit TAB: that is the Numeric Input window.

You can use (), [], {}, sin, cos etc functions.Smile