Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Strange shadows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi im new to modeling.So i'm making model of a weapon that already have 4000 poly and i took me like 7 hours at last.My problem is that when i'm trying to render itit has black faces.Same when i try do this in Blender.Can you tell me what i did wrong and how to fix it ?
My model [250kB]
http://speedy.sh/pBVaX/fn-scar9.wings
bump~
Ludvio,
You need to tell us what rendering software you are using. An image of the render with the strange shadows you get will help too. Have you tried YafaRay?

oort
Ehh i dont know anything about that im telling u thant i put my .obj to Blender and click Render it happens same is for wings when click 4th button from top right(in Wings3D)can't u see all those distorted shadows?
Maybe you are viewing with Smooth Shading instead of Flat Shading. Toggle with left first icon in top toolbar. You have some bad geometry in places. If you hit Shift Tab (Quick Smoothed Preview) you can see the problem areas.

oort
Well when i select my object and click shift tab i can see many white faces with strange geometry...The problem is how i'm supposed to click them and fix it
Ludvio, it would be better if you could put and image (screenshot) here. Wink

p.s. There is no chance to try you file, since it's necessary to install an application for that. (maybe you could use dropbox
Micheus,
I too was thinking I had to download the software and then I noticed that there is another link near the top of the page.... dropbox would have avoided this confusion though... Smile

Ludvio,
You did not have to select the object to use Shift Tab and hitting Shift Tab again puts everything back as it was. You probably saw that already.

You need to either use hard edges or add geometry to avoid some of the problems.

You have some extra verts floating around. You get rid of them by selecting the object > RMB > Cleanup.

You should probably watch videos and read about subdivision modeling (box modeling) to learn the rules. That will help you to know how to add edges in the right places and know what things to avoid.

oort