Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: How to make a trumpet bell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am new to wings3d and even newer to this forum, so I'm not sure how to get my question out there...

Can you tell me how I might make something like a trumpet bell as easily as possible, or point me at someone who can?

Also, is it possible to import pieces from one project to another?

So I don't bother you in the future, is there a way to post an open question in this forum? Thanks! -gungazoid (gungazoid@hotmail.com)
(11-09-2013, 03:59 PM)gungazoid Wrote: [ -> ]Can you tell me how I might make something like a trumpet bell as easily as possible, or point me at someone who can?
You can start from a cone primitive maybe!?

Quote:Also, is it possible to import pieces from one project to another?
Yes. You can use Import (if it came from an other 3d app) or Merge if it is a native wings3d project.

Quote:So I don't bother you in the future, is there a way to post an open question in this forum?
You should make questions like that in the Interface & Usage theread. There - at the top - you will find a button New Topic that can be used for start you own question. Wink
Ok a good way to learn about Tweek. Make a cylinder, standard is fine. Select one of the ends, scale it down. now select one of the edges, hit (G) for the Edge ring, hit a number to subdivide - 8 should be good, then press © to connect them. Now with all that selected, switch to polygon mode, hit (-) to shrink your selection, then point at one of the polygons hit the left button and drag (make sure Tweek is on) (T) ..this should build the base geometry. From there select the bigger end and (polygon) and Intrude ..... should be what your lookin for..
(11-09-2013, 10:14 PM)Justanother1 Wrote: [ -> ]Ok a good way to learn about Tweek. Make a cylinder, standard is fine. Select one of the ends, scale it down. now select one of the edges, hit (G) for the Edge ring, hit a number to subdivide - 8 should be good, then press © to connect them. Now with all that selected, switch to polygon mode, hit (-) to shrink your selection, then point at one of the polygons hit the left button and drag (make sure Tweek is on) (T) ..this should build the base geometry. From there select the bigger end and (polygon) and Intrude ..... should be what your lookin for..

I really appreciate the help, and I'm sorry to be so stupid, but you are speaking at least one level beyond my ability...

When you say select one of the edges - of the top ring? when I do that, nothing happens for "G" or "g". When I select one of the edges on the side of the cylinder, it selects to two edges of that polygon that touch the top and bottom rings...

By "polygon mode" I assume you mean the icon at the top of the workspace where I select faces...

From there I was lost. I feel so stupid...
(11-09-2013, 10:35 PM)gungazoid Wrote: [ -> ]when I do that, nothing happens for "G" or "g". When I select one of the edges on the side of the cylinder, it selects to two edges of that polygon that touch the top and bottom rings...

By "polygon mode" I assume you mean the icon at the top of the workspace where I select faces..
you can do that by selection of the top face and then switch to edge mode.

I suggest you to watch some videos from the tutorials thread. You need a basic knoledgement about the interface and basics commands before we can explain things for you that you can understand. Wink
I'd also suggest a look here ... some of the example shapes aren't so different from that required ... imo, anyway Smile

pp

http://www.wings3d.com/paulthepuzzles/aa...trude.html
This is not making fun, This program is very confusing at first. Honestly you should just play around with it for a while. Just doodle with whatever pops up, so you can get a better feel of how things work. Here's starter vid I did on Youtube on Wings3d http://youtu.be/NlhMvBmkgG4
(11-10-2013, 07:19 PM)Justanother1 Wrote: [ -> ]... Honestly you should just play around with it for a while. Just doodle with whatever pops up, so you can get a better feel of how things work...

I agree, good advice Smile
Just mess around, experiment - you're unlikely to break anything + you have undos (unlike real life or carpentry for example Smile )

But observe ... don't just 'look'
Then think ... before doing something ... what'll happen if you do someting different ... try to predict what'll happen ... before it does.

pp
Thanks, all! I have been playing with it - with some success! I'll have a look at some of vids you suggest before I trouble the community again...
Pages: 1 2