Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: create texture from UV mapping greater than 2048x2480
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi all

friends, I have a little issue ... Is there any way to create a UV-map texture bigger than 2048x2048?

please... help meee!!!

thanx folks!!!
fetitxe,
No it is not possible. Someone would have to add that ability. Since I do not know, I ask if other software offers larger sizes and if so what sizes do they support?

oort
thanks oort,
it´s a disappointment not able to draw larger textures,
so I could see Blender can do the map up to 32768x32768 pixels

thanx friend
I have never looked at the code for AutoUV but I imagine it would be simple to add that size and others. Maybe dgud can add that quickly.

Edit: Unless larger sizes would cause memory issues with Wings3D???

oort
oort, I can create one 4096x4096. Smile
It depends on your video card capability. But, you are sure when you say that someone "have to add this ability", because that is the limit (4096px).

From the auv_texture.erl
Code:
draw_options() ->
    [MaxTxs0|_] = gl:getIntegerv(?GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE),
    MaxTxs = max(min(4096, MaxTxs0), 256),
as we can see, Wings gets the size information from the OpenGL (GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE) and uses the minor value between 4096 and that one returned.

[edit]
oort, did you remember about this old thread we have worked: Jpeg resolution crash
Basically, when loading an image for image plane when it was bigger than the value of GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE we need to resize it in order to avoid wings to crash.
Micheus,
Just to be sure I understand... Because Wings3D uses OpenGL it is limited to 4096 (assuming a video card that can handle that). This would only change if OpenGL changes what it supports. Is this correct?

Edit: Yes I do remember now.... Smile

Thanks,
oort
(11-27-2013, 07:03 PM)oort Wrote: [ -> ]Because Wings3D uses OpenGL it is limited to 4096 (assuming a video card that can handle that).
I think that in the past this value would be enough for most projects as well it was not so usual have a video card that supported it.
I believe we could enable autoUV to use the max value returned by OpenGL, but we need to remember it will make video memory usage to increase a lot. (maybe we need to take care about to not make Wings crash)

You can check that max value in the menu Help->OpenGL Info and looking for Max Texture Size (it's 8192 in the PC I'm now).

[edit]
Just a example: 8192x8192x4(RGBA texture) = 268435456 = 256MB - just for one image.
So, considering the uvmap image has been created as internal not only the video card memory is charged, but the system memory too. Now a days we have a lot of memory and the 64bit version of wings that can make possible load use such textures without any crash. Smile

Thinking about that, maybe we would consider to add 8192x8192 to Create Texture option in autoUV (if available).
thanks guys

I'll try with the desktop, with the laptop that I tried is a bit old ;P
you know if you assign a seperate material, you can use a seperate UV-map ... You don't need to be stuck on just one image. The Poser-Daz People have multiple Skin maps, and even with a good card, at any distance your looking at a MipMap, and so are your users. Plus Multiple materials allows you to "change clothes" or add stripes on a car, or even Hide parts. I like painting my models in Sculptris, but it only allows 2048 textures. Plus you can't paint Symmetry (mirror) UV'd models (but it can paint Half a model) Just some Ideas .....