Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Some topology advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all. I am fairly new to modeling and have just gained enough confidence to try to make this 3D model. I am trying to model a gorilla that I will be exporting into a game engine. I am doing this because I want to get the hang of modeling, texturing, animation, and importing into a game engine.

I could use some help with the topology. Am I doing this right? Am I making a mistake somewhere? I have been reading some books on modeling, but there are few resources on box modeling. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Certainly something like a Gorilla could be built in Wings3d, but it might take more than a noobs skill to do it. However, for importing into a game engine, you will want to have a nice Quad-based geometry, which can be built in Wings3d. There is another approach that many modelers have found faster and easier, but it will take some more studying. RETOPOLOGY. In a Nut-shell you could use a program such as Sculptris ( http://pixologic.com/sculptris/features/ ) Which really takes NO tech-knowledge, it's just like working with clay. but the models it produces are triangulated and poorly UV-mapped. But you can take that model into Blender and use the Snap-tool to build a new quad model right to that shape, or, you can cheat like me, bring it into Wings3d, build a rough, low-poly cage around it, then take both into Blender and Shrinkwrap, smooth, and Shrinkwrap again. Also, If you start with quad-mesh (from Wings3d) and leave the Detail slider at 0, you can model quads in Sculptris! take a look at this .. http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread....deo+thread
(12-30-2013, 04:52 AM)Justanother1 Wrote: [ -> ]If you start with quad-mesh (from Wings3d) and leave the Detail slider at 0, you can model quads in Sculptris! take a look at this .. http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread....deo+thread
By comparing the meshes:
[Image: Justanother1-alien_zpsaf601aee.png]
it seems that in this situation (Detail=0) we would get the same result using just Wings3d - using sculpt mode after smooth the model -, since the mesh seems to have been smoothed about twice (by Sculptris). Doesn't seems?
(12-30-2013, 09:21 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-30-2013, 04:52 AM)Justanother1 Wrote: [ -> ]If you start with quad-mesh (from Wings3d) and leave the Detail slider at 0, you can model quads in Sculptris! take a look at this .. http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread....deo+thread
By comparing the meshes:
[Image: Justanother1-alien_zpsaf601aee.png]
it seems that in this situation (Detail=0) we would get the same result using just Wings3d - using sculpt mode after smooth the model -, since the mesh seems to have been smoothed about twice (by Sculptris). Doesn't seems?

Yeah that is way too many polygons for such a simple mesh. I was more concerned with weather my mesh had noticeable flaws (non quads.) I completed the model and posted the result in the gallery. I had to remove the images from here to post them in the gallery.

I am so new to 3D. I was very surprised and pleased at what I was able to create. I was wondering which types of details I should sculpt, and how to make normal/bump maps. I am currently watching your UV Mapping videos on youtube. If you get a chance to see my model in the gallery, feel free to give me any pointers you can.
(12-31-2013, 02:25 AM)Plervertex Wrote: [ -> ]I completed the model and posted the result in the gallery. I had to remove the images from here to post them in the gallery.
We recommend that you use an image hoster for that - the space for attachments in the forum is very restrict. You can use Photobucket - and you can easily access you album by using this icon in the post editor =>

(12-31-2013, 02:25 AM)Plervertex Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering which types of details I should sculpt, and how to make normal/bump maps.
for normal/bump you can try xNormal. Check out this video.

As you are new to 3D, I think that can find interesting stuff in this thread: CG Useful Tutorials (modeling, techinics, tips, ...)
You're right micheas, Wings3d subdivide is the same as subdivide button in Sculptris, and the sculpting tools in Wings3d have improved immensely since I recorded that Vid about 2 years ago. However Sculptris is also a Great modeling app, and the combination of Sculptris and Wings3d is Fantastic. Sculptris can paint your Wings3d models. I also use Paint.NET for an image editor, and a small program called Roadkill to help with UV-Mapping.
(12-30-2013, 09:21 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]it seems that in this situation (Detail=0) we would get the same result using just Wings3d - using sculpt mode after smooth the model -, since the mesh seems to have been smoothed about twice (by Sculptris). Doesn't seems?

err.... I'm not sure if I understood what you meant correctly, but if I set the detail slider in sculptris at zero before importing, then import as a new scene, sculptris doesn't subdivide the imported mesh actually. Which can be quite useful for simple edits, or to benefit from Sculptris nice 3D paint tools.
I was talking only about to sculpt the mesh without triangulate it. Of course - in this scenery - Sculptris still has other useful resources (like painting)