Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: UV Mapping Texture File Assignment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, I'm a new user to Wings3D and I've just spent a bunch of time learning how to UV map. I broke my model into all the separate pieces, which all had their own material created in the outliner, then proceeded to unfold all of them. This all occurred on the default 256x256 auvBG texture file. I combined all the pieces to get all the UV maps onto one file, then in the autoUV window, I realized I wanted a higher resolution file. I tried the create texture feature to make a 512x512 file, painted that file how I wanted it, but now I can't figure out how to assign that file as the texture. All of my component materials show the texture file as auvBG with only the option to delete.

How do I assign a different texture file to my model? Am I completely hosed? Should I have picked my texture size before doing all my UV unfolding? What am I missing?
(01-14-2014, 06:56 PM)wl51 Wrote: [ -> ]... , I realized I wanted a higher resolution file. I tried the create texture feature to make a 512x512 file, painted that file how I wanted it, but now I can't figure out how to assign that file as the texture.
It's easy. First use File->Import image... and load the new high resolution image. Second, find it in the Outliner window use the RMB and select the Pick up Image option. Now, still in the Outliner window, select the material you want to replace the image and with RMB select the Drop picked object and choose the desired option - in this case, Diffuse.
After that, if your old image is not assigned to any other material, you can delete it (RMB on the Outliner window).
Thank you so much!
Any Image any size is fine, but you'll notice they all import square in Wings3d ... images of 256, 512, 1024, 2046, 4096 are the size of Ram Memory blocks. if you use a 600x600 image, it will still take up a 1024x1024 block, so it's better to keep them in those sizes!

Also, There's a program called Roadkill. It's what Blenders auto-Unwrap is based on. It does a better job unwrapping some shapes. Usually I'll make my seams in Wings3d .. Project Normal (faster) then export and let Roadkill re-unwrap those islands. Then import it back into Wings3d and use the UV-tools there to move and rotate the Islands for tighter packing and more texture space.

Once you have good UV's, might I suggest you try "Painting" your model in Sculptris... Of Course Paint.NET is getting way cool these days, and has tons of Plugins, many for stuff we need like Seamless textures and Normal Maps