Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Tutorial for a lamp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm planning to make a lamp model for a game, and I was wondering if a tutorial could be made. I've played around with wings for a while so I know where most of the buttons are, and I learn quick.

Some ideas of what I imagine the lamp to look like:
http://www.jsrtrade.com/Upload/ImageNIco...0Lamps.gif
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/framea...olated.jpg

Something like that, so you could grab the neck with one hand.

If someone could teach me how to create something like this or other great tips, I would really appreciate it.
This could be shaped rather quickly starting with a cylinder scaled down in y to make the larger base of the stand, then, selecting its top face/cap shaping the rest of it upward with almost only one wings command (used several times of course) : face/INSET, which is like an extrude but with two parameters : distance (move the mouse once initiated), and bumb(hold and drag the left mouse button).
I would do another object for the lightbulb, and a third one for the shade.

You can just experiment with inset as I suggested, but if you have trouble or doubts, I'll try and do a short video to illustrate.
I recorded a "long" (11min) video showing a way to produce the yellow one.
You probably will not need a so detailed model, but I think it can be a start point for you build your own.

I speed it up a little, since I spent ~35min, but you can pause it for check any detail or read the Information Line texts - watch in HD mode. (always pay attention to Wings3d's Information line)

I hope it help you.
VladD, how did you create the thickened lines on the lampshade? I've completed the neck, and have yet to make the lampshade and bulb.

Thanks for the info and video! This really helped with getting me started.
You shouldn't have much trouble with this ...
for viewing in Wings3D, use the Emission channel in Material for the actual Lights, this will make it shine bright and pretty. As far as Geometry, just start with a cube and play with the controls, until you get the hang of it. Lots to learn, but it's not hard, just takes some time ...
[Image: 2s9ej2w.jpg]
(01-20-2014, 03:14 AM)DC64 Wrote: [ -> ]VladD, how did you create the thickened lines on the lampshade? I've completed the neck, and have yet to make the lampshade and bulb.

I selected some edges, used Edge:Extrude/normal with a zero extrude distance. Holding down and draging the left mouse button you can set the width of the new edges.

The original selection of edge being still selected after the extrude, just hit "F" to convert into a selection of faces, and finallly a second extrude/by face normals (or "D" to repeat/recall the last command).

From left to right, the screenshot shows this simple process. Smile

Nice lighting setup, Justanother1!