Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Please bring back the preference to turn off highlight as temporary selection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One of the main reasons I use Wings is because of its hotkey system, and I have a hotkey setup that I've been using for years that works extremely well for me. Some of the hotkeys are doubly bound, such that they do different things depending on the selection. This worked wonders when there was the ability to turn off temporary selection, but now that that preference has been removed, many of them no longer work since Wings is thinking I'm wanting to select things that I didn't have selected.

I love Wings, and I fully intend to continue to use it for a long time, but I'm currently stuck using the last version that had the ability to turn this on and off since I am substantially more productive with my hotkey setup based around this being turned off.

I'd genuinely like to know why the option was removed, and I sincerely hope it is put back in an upcoming update (or if someone has a hotfix/plugin, that would be lovely as well). Wings 3D is one of the best modeling packages I've ever used specifically because it is so customizable, and putting this option back would greatly reinforce this strength.
(01-22-2014, 07:23 PM)ingulit Wrote: [ -> ]I'd genuinely like to know why the option was removed
ingulit, it seems you have far away for the Wings3d' forums for long time. Smile

That was discussed late in 2010, proposed and argued by Optigon: Ideas for Cleaning up Wings Interface

Recently someone else asked about: Any way to murder temp selections?
(01-22-2014, 08:44 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-22-2014, 07:23 PM)ingulit Wrote: [ -> ]I'd genuinely like to know why the option was removed
ingulit, it seems you have far away for the Wings3d' forums for long time. Smile

That was discussed late in 2010, proposed and argued by Optigon: Ideas for Cleaning up Wings Interface

Recently someone else asked about: Any way to murder temp selections?

Thank you for the link! I've been mulling it over for a few days now, and while I'm obviously not totally thrilled with the end result, I do now understand the reasoning behind removing it and several of the other options. I'm imagining continuing to argue in favor of adding it to the official version would be moot, so I'll retire that request in favor of a rather different one:

If I wanted to write a plugin (or hell, even a homebrew version if the plugin API isn't low-level enough for this) to turn highlight as temporary selection on and off, where should I look in the older versions' code to find how that toggle used to work? I've been meaning to look into Wings3D development for awhile now, and I figure this would be as good a way as any to get my feet wet.
(01-29-2014, 05:19 PM)ingulit Wrote: [ -> ]If I wanted to write a plugin (or hell, even a homebrew version if the plugin API isn't low-level enough for this) to turn highlight as temporary selection on and off, where should I look in the older versions' code to find how that toggle used to work?
You are wellcome to write Wigns3d plugins, but you don't need do one for this - you just need put back the code that was used before, test it and pull a request to dgud.
Here is the changes made by Richard Jones (a.k.a optgon) for clean up the preferences.