Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: A new release
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
dgud,
I also get a "failed: permission denied" message, but I am able to close the message/messages and continue to use Wings3d.

Edit: Also, with Save automatically disabled (check removed) Wings3d still tries to automatically save. This was reported by MikeJ a few posts up... Smile He said if you restart Wings3D, save automatically is disabled, as desired.

oort
(04-11-2014, 11:23 PM)Fonte Boa Wrote: [ -> ][Image: autosave_zps837a6409.jpg]
Fonte, are you really using the Convidado account (guest)? The "unsaved" file should be put in the same place you can find the preferences.txt, and - doing that - it should not have any problem with accesses.
Micheus,
The location that fails for me is listed as "./#unsaved.wings#"

Thanks,
oort
I have installed the new beam file and can confirm that it solves the autosave bug. No more crashes. However, the check/uncheck bug with the autosave window has not been fixed. It still requires a restart of Wings3D to change your preference with regard to turning the autosave function on or off. The checkbox does turn on and off graphically, but without a restart of the application the change doesn't actually take effect.

I'm also not having any permission issues or file not found issues on my Windows 7 64 bit machine.

(04-12-2014, 12:26 AM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]The "unsaved" file should be put in the same place you can find the preferences.txt, and - doing that - it should not have any problem with accesses.

This is not what happens for me. My preferences file on my Windows 7 machine is in a location where it is supposed to be:

C:\Users\your_username_here\AppData\Roaming\Wings3D

However, the temporary unsaved.wings file is being stored in a completely different directory. It is being stored where I keep a couple of different custom themes that I use in Wings3D. At first I was confused as to how Wings3D even knew about this folder, but in going into the preferences file I see that it is pulling the currently used theme in a .pref file from this folder (specifically the 'pref_directory' specification in the preferences file). Additionally, themes that I have used in the past are also in this folder. So that is how Wings3D knows about it. And this is where the unsaved.wings file is being temporarily stored until an actual manual save is made on the file in question. Strangely enough, it is not being stored in the regular preferences file location.

What this means to Fonte and oort is that the unsaved.wings file may not be stored where they think it is stored. It may be trying to store this file in a location that their user does not have access to. You two guys should note the location that Wings3D is trying to save that file into and see if you can access that folder location in Windows Explorer. I expect you will get a permission denied error message.

Perhaps a modification of your preferences file will solve the issue? See if the locations that you noted above show up in your preferences file anywhere (look for the 'pref_directory' setting) and edit them to a different location that you know you have access to (like your desktop).
Sounds like it's time for coffee and a deeper dig..
The preferences_dir used is the one you last used with File/Save|Load Preferences

I think that is ok, by default that is the standard pref dir, if you have not changed the place yourself.

The disable autosave bug, is that a new or have it been there all the time?
Very confuse all this... I've never had to worry before about which kind of account i was using (guest or administrator) while using Wings and the program always runs fine.

What should i do now? Turn off auto-save?!! Sad Change my access privileges as guest? Work only as administrator? Users will have to ask for privileges to their administrators for work using Wings?

Come on! Wings always run without need to this kind of thing. Please, dont mess up the things now... Sad
Fonte you have used or tested File/Save Prefs and set a directory which is not writeable by the user
you are using now.

If the user have set the pref dir to be a dir not writeable, wings3d can not write a file there.
What should wings do?

Either save the prefs on another dir that is writeable for all users or accept that autosave files
is not saved until you have saved the file somewhere and given it a filename.

I have fixed (hopefully) the known bugs and uploaded a new 32b release.
Please test wings-1.5.2.29.g9f09.exe
I've installed 1.5.2.29.g9f09 release and i've saved my preferences (as you suggested, Dgud) in a folder i have all permissions. All seems to be working now: no more crashes related to auto-save. Thanks.
Will there be a 32-bit Linux version?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6