Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: texture mapping multiple objects
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I am just starting out with Wings 3D and I must say its been both fun and frustrating. I have spent the last few days searching for answers to all my questions about UV mapping. now I seem to have found tutorials or help on most of them but i have 1 question remaining. A little background.

I am making a simple model of the Eagle Transporter from Space 1999, a 19070's scifi show. The model has several parts that are the same. For example there are 4 landing pods all the same size. I can unwrap and texture 1 of them which i have done. How do i now use this same map on the other 3 pods? I have 2 other modules the same and 4 engines that can all have the one texture. all up the model is 13 objects and i didnt want 13 UV maps/textures if possible.

I am using Wings 3D 1.5.3 stable Win 64b.
If the pod module is a separate object in the geometry window, you can just duplicate the textured pod to the position of the 3 others and delete the untextured ones afterward.
(05-29-2014, 08:16 PM)Nova Wrote: [ -> ]If the pod module is a separate object in the geometry window, you can just duplicate the textured pod to the position of the 3 others and delete the untextured ones afterward.

thanks will try that . will that make any problems if i combine all the parts before i export the model? I am making the ship to be used in the Oolite game which is an open soursed version of the classic Elite game from 1984...
one more question if i make a duplicate and then rotate that duplicate will the texture for that duplicate be rotated as well or will it remain as it was? the pods are symmetrical.
No to both your questions Smile It shouldn't create problems to combine the objects, nor will the texture be rotated if you rotate the object.
Thanks for the help. i had textured the right rear pod and then i duplicated it and move the duplicate to the front pod position and deleted the original.Then i copied it again and moved it across to the left side and as expected the texture remained as it was . just for fun i then rotated it 180 degrees and the texture DID rotate. The graphic for the attitude jets which was on the inside for this part moved to the outside with the rotate. so thank you very much my model is now 80% complete and the engines will be a breeze.

[Image: 2mqvymt.jpg]

[Image: 2vbq911.jpg]