Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Wing's metric system
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello people, i was making something on wings when a question came in to my mind.
Many game engines like unity they use an 1 by 1 scale which makes the development easyer in case you cant scale the model later. Usualy the docs from those enviroments are telling us to go to 3DS max and change the scale to 1 by 1 but in wings 3d i dont even know if its possible.
The only thing that helps me out is the grid

(https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3q1lsfzhybblv...-03-41.png)

So my question is this: Does each square represents one perfect square meter and when i move a cube 1 unit on any axis is it an actual meter?
(08-09-2014, 06:07 PM)FlevasGR Wrote: [ -> ]So my question is this: Does each square represents one perfect square meter and when i move a cube 1 unit on any axis is it an actual meter?

No, 1 wings unit has no particular relevance to anything outside of wings.

If you want a wings unit to match some other system, export a known size of model (cube, say) into your other app, compare and go from there.

pp
Actually, Wings works perfectly with Unity. If you set your export formats to use an export scale of 1, then a distance of 1 in Wings will equal a distance of 1 in Unity.
Just make sure you set the objects in Unity to use a scale of 1 as well. If you're using wings exclusively, it might be worth your time to edit the importsettings script so it set the import scale to 1 by default.