Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Linux Mint Crash When Adding ANy Object
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm having an issue that I cannot seem to resolve using my go-to methods.

I'm using Linux Mint (KDE version, i forget the names, it's too troublesome to keep up with that crap, really) and I run the install script, it looks good, I run the script to start Wings3D and everything runs fine until I try to add any primitive at all. I tried various versions, they all behave identically.

Now, I've had this problem before, I think, on my last Linux install, and I ended up just throwing my hands up in the air and running the damn thing in Wine but now even THAT doesn't work on this system (wine tries to start then just exits).

So please, tell me what magic potion I should drink so that I can forget about using wings3d OR help me solve this issue... Sad

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I even tried seeking out Nendo, but demo doesn't save and I need to export models and I pretty much hate every other 3d modelling methodology out there because they all suck, IMO.
hseiken, it could help if you can provide us the dump file. Is it being generated when you are getting Wings3d crashing? Can you see any error message in the console window?

I have a Mint(Maya) distro installed in my VM (VirtualBox) and I could install and start the program without any problem.
Code:
###########################################

Failed to find any suitable OpenGL mode.

Make sure that OpenGL drivers are installed.

Retrying with multisampling disabled.
Trying OpenGL modes
  [{buffer_size,32},{depth_size,32},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
  [{buffer_size,24},{depth_size,32},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
  [{buffer_size,24},{depth_size,24},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
Actual: RGBA: 8 8 8 8 Depth: 24 Stencil: 8 Accum: 16 16 16 16
Using GPU shaders.
beam.smp: ../../../../../../../src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/brw_eu_emit.c:267: validate_reg: Assertion `execsize >= width' failed.

Warning: Program '/bin/bash' crashed.

This doesn't make any sense as I've quite a few programs that definitely use OpenGL acceleration for display.

Is there a global value I need to set somehow?
The problem seems to be in your mesa/intel driver somewhere they should not crash,
though we probably do something bad somewhere.

beam.smp: ../../../../../../../src/mesa/drivers/dri/i965/brw_eu_emit.c:267: validate_reg: Assertion `execsize >= width' failed.

I'm sorry but I don't think I have the time to install a mint and debug this.
You can try activate the debug menu via preferences and turn on "warn for opengl errors" and
see if that gives anything.

Micheus he can start the program but not create an object
dgud, thanks for help with this.

hseiken, I would appreciate if you could try what gud suggested and give us some feedback. This way we can try to find what is going wrong with your install and try to fix it.
I did some research, and this problem may be on my end to some degree. I tried playing around with some OpenGL settings in other programs, namely the Desktop Effects settings. For some reason, OpenGL 2 and 3 aren't available, only 1. But oddly enough, games like Saurbraten that require newer cards, shaders, etc. along with that support works just fine, running solid FPS with all effects on maximum, even some of the stuff I don't think my card really supports all that well such as refraction.

I'm not especially awesome with linux, so what can I do to ensure the problem isn't on my end first with the OpenGL settings?

I turned dev mode on and checked OPENGL, I didn't know what else to do. I tried to make an object, crash. I also tried loading another file I made in another program and it crashed on that too.

Code:
hseiken@HeavySystems:~/wings-1.5.3 > exec ./wings
wings-1.5.3
Reading preferences from: /home/hseiken/.wings3d/preferences.txt
Trying OpenGL modes
  [{buffer_size,24},{depth_size,24},{stencil_size,0},{accum_size,16}]
  [{buffer_size,16},{depth_size,24},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
  [{buffer_size,16},{depth_size,16},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
  [{buffer_size,16},{depth_size,16},{stencil_size,0},{accum_size,16}]
  [{buffer_size,16},{depth_size,16},{stencil_size,0},{accum_size,0}]
  [{buffer_size,15},{depth_size,16},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
  [{buffer_size,15},{depth_size,16},{stencil_size,0},{accum_size,16}]
  [{buffer_size,15},{depth_size,16},{stencil_size,0},{accum_size,0}]
  [{buffer_size,0},{depth_size,0},{stencil_size,0},{accum_size,0}]

Failed to find any suitable OpenGL mode.

Make sure that OpenGL drivers are installed.

Retrying with multisampling disabled.
Trying OpenGL modes
Actual: RGBA: 8 8 8 8 Depth: 24 Stencil: 8 Accum: 16 16 16 16
Using GPU shaders.
c_src/cl_nif.c:5607: ecl_pre_load: error code = -1001
OpenCL not available {badmatch,{error,unknown}}

Warning: Program '/bin/bash' crashed.

That's the full log of when I started the program, turned on dev menu then selected OpenGL then tried to add a default cube.

Code:
hseiken@HeavySystems:~ > glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3

Also from my system, if it's of any worth.
Any leads on things i could try, things I could read to solve my problem?

I need a modeller that doesn't piss me off for a class project and the deadline's approaching fast...

No knock on blender, but damn is it's modelling mode cluttered as hell...
Hi hseiken, it's hard to help with this kind of problem under Linux. Maybe try to reinstall the mesa drivers would help - I'm not sure, Linux isn't my usual OS.
When I build my environment to build Wing3d under Linux I used this article: How to Install Mesa (OpenGL) on Linux Mint (method 1)

Maybe it can be different for different video card brand. Which one are you using? (Intel, NVidia or AMD)
Which Linux Mint version are you using? (I was using Maya)