Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: The first plan selection.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

How can I select the first plan of my model? I mean something like "select active view". I hope you know what i mean Wink

Regards
Marcin Maćkowiak
I'm not sure I understood your question.
The active view is always that view you are seeing. If you want to select between different views I suggest you to use the Save View option - the Saved Views window help with this. Did that help you? Undecided
Thanks for your answear but i want to select faces of my 3D model by drag option.
I want to receive something like on the first photo -> not second.
[Image: 1_zpsa9bb4527.png]

In this case I want to select every face of front this seat, but there is too many feces to select it manually. When I use drag option I have got selected everything from front and behind.
[Image: 2_zps8483d0fc.png]

I hope you will understand me now Smile
Ok. I got it. Smile

It seems you used the marque option for the selection - by pressing CTRL while dragging the mouse, which will select the "back" faces too.

You have the option to use the paint select mode which you click LMB in the first face and - while keeping it pressed - drag the mouse over the other neighbour faces.

If this is not happen, its because you can have the Tweak mode active. If so, you can disable it or do the same process but starting with a double-click (without release the LMB).

For what you need now, maybe to use the menu Select->Similar Normal [with options] can be a good way to get them selected. You should select one face and when you access the menu option you can adjust the Angle Tolerance which you will see in the preview the faces being selected.
Smile I normally have tweak enabled so I double-left click and drag mouse over needed faces.
but sometimes its better to disable tweak mode (ctrl+rightClick) and little menu appears with on/off

this is good thread, I'll jump in too, because something is irritating me from the beginning Smile

With pressing SHIFT and draging selection box, we can select faces which are front view
front view: (selection box with pressed SHIFT)
[Image: screen01531832.jpg]

But result in this case is visible below, even related 90º angle faces are selected too Sad
back view:
[Image: screen01541834.jpg]

Mayibe is there a way to do something about that ? like implementing option to setting 'angle limit' or something like this ? Smile
(11-28-2014, 09:08 PM)Radi Wrote: [ -> ]Mayibe is there a way to do something about that ? like implementing option to setting 'angle limit' or something like this ? Smile

You can use "Select > Similar normals"
yeah but when mesh is more complicated, not squared like in example above Wink ?

Also, there is another problem in my example above.
look at the first image and where its selection box, normally faces within box are selected, but when SHIFT is pressed - no more.
(11-30-2014, 01:46 PM)Radi Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-30-2014, 01:44 PM)Stem Wrote: [ -> ]You can use "Select > Similar normals"

yeah but when mesh is more complicated, not squared like in example above Wink ?
I think Radi is right. Give Similar Normals with options a try (that small square in the right side of the menu option). You will see that you can adjust the normal angle tolerance.

Quote:Also, there is another problem in my example above.
look at the first image and where its selection box, normally faces within box are selected, but when SHIFT is pressed - no more.
That is not a problem, it's a feature. Did you noticed the Information Line?
"[Shift] (De)select only elements wholly inside marquee".
Just increase the selection area. Wink
(11-28-2014, 02:53 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]Ok. I got it. Smile

It seems you used the marque option for the selection - by pressing CTRL while dragging the mouse, which will select the "back" faces too.

You have the option to use the paint select mode which you click LMB in the first face and - while keeping it pressed - drag the mouse over the other neighbour faces.

I knew about it, but in this case i had too much polygons to select it manually like this. It is waste of time. I solved this problem by polygon reduction of my 3D object, so i was able to select everything i wanted like you said.

Thanks anyway for help everyone Smile