Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: What does select adjacent objects do ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What does select adjacent objects do ?

There is no status line tip.

Maybe just a placeholder of sorts for future ?
(12-11-2014, 10:32 PM)ggaliens Wrote: [ -> ]What does select adjacent objects do ?

Try this: create a default sphere, select one edge, and hit 'e', even though you're already in edge selection mode, this will add to the selected edge the adjacent edges only (making this adjacent submenu unecessary, imo), not all the connected edges.
Now, for comparison, unselect, re-select the same edge and this time hit '+'. You'll see the difference.

It's probably more apparent with faces selections. And actually, I often use f/adjacent faces "expand" that way instead of just growing up a face selection in some specific case. It's useful in vertices mode too.

Combine this with a hotkey set on "deselect previous", and you can quickly obtain selections that would take more clicks in other softwares.
(12-12-2014, 12:31 PM)VladD Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-11-2014, 10:32 PM)ggaliens Wrote: [ -> ]What does select adjacent objects do ?

edit: ignore, I too rapidely read "edges" instead of "objects.
I checked the code and it does nothing special, just change the selection mode. In other words, the Select->Adjacent options are equivalent to use the selection mode shortcuts: V, E, F and B.
Yeah. It's a bit weird linguistically for end user to know what it means.

But I had a read of the code too of course.

I actually do have a select adjacent for objects ... when they are tangent by face in my plugins.
Was wondering if it did collision detection or something. Alas ... just a mode change.
(12-12-2014, 08:52 PM)ggaliens Wrote: [ -> ]Alas ... just a mode change.
not exactly. For a vertex, edge and face selected if you use the shortcut for that mode in the selection you will increase the selection (the adjacents). In this case it is working as VladD said. It's something we had been doing automatically - without think about the adjacent operation.

But, yeah. It can sound stranger for users.