Wings 3D Development Forum
Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs (/showthread.php?tid=33)

Pages: 1 2

Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - optigon - 11-18-2012

Along with the upcoming Preview Dialog changes, I've condensed some of the Primitive menu items into single dialogs for similar shapes.

Here's a comparison of the menu changes followed by the new dialogs:

[Image: menushapeafter.png]

[Image: dialogplane.png]

[Image: dialogcylinder.png]

[Image: dialogcube.png]

[Image: previewdialogtorus.png]

RE: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - micheus - 11-18-2012

It's very organized now!
Also, the primitives menu was becoming too large.

RE: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - Geta-Ve - 11-18-2012

Sexy. I like what I see. Great job optigon.

RE: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - greytery - 11-18-2012

Hey. Simplifying the Simple interface - just how far can you go ?

A thought which I'm sure has been thought of: Should/could the polyhedra primatives block be combined in the same manner as Planes?

RE: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - optigon - 11-18-2012

(11-18-2012, 12:15 PM)greytery Wrote: A thought which I'm sure has been thought of: Should/could the polyhedra primatives block be combined in the same manner as Planes?

Actually didn't occur to me.
Makes sense Smile

RE: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - sleepwalker - 11-18-2012

The context sensitive menu was somewhat usable, but this definitely improves on it. A step in the right direction.

RE: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - Fonte Boa - 11-18-2012

I dont know if it is possible (and reasonable) to implement the following, but i'll suggest this.

Imo Wings ever had an unconfortable way to position created stuff in workspace: all the objects are created at the center of viewport and, if user didnt repositioned them they will ever be created one over/inside the existant ones. There are many ways to reposition them: by hand, Put On, Bouding Box, Absolute Commands.

My suggestion is to implement in the new Preview Dialogs an "advanced" session (+ sign) to allow the user to position the new primitive in viewport (x/y/z coordinates). This would be imo basically the Absolute Move dialog options. User could interactively position the new primitive, since the visual feedback is instantaneous.

In addiction, i ask your permission to suggest an option to be ticked for the user and that would position the new primitive in the present saved Bounding Box.

I think this is a great oportunity to solve this old unconfortable aspect of Wings and allow the user to choice where he wants to position a new primitive at the moment of its creation.

Thanks for the chance of suggest this.

RE: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - Geta-Ve - 11-19-2012

@Fonte

while I can understand the frustration sometimes had by objects being created within other objects, I don't really see this proposed ability has being all that beneficial.

At least from an organic modelling point of view I hardly ever have to absolutely position any newly created objects. There is usually a lot of prop work going on early in the modelling stage, especially if you are only positioning primitives and the like.

As an example, if I am creating eyeballs for a character, there is almost no way for me to tell where I will need them, at least, to such a degree that I would need to manually enter coordinates for them.

I will however give a 'plus 1' for creating primitives within a predefined bounding box, I can see this being handy especially if you have the situation set up pre primitive.

One situation I could see hindering the creation of new primitives is if you are already working on a model and as you create a new primitive the old model is, visually, in the way of the preview process. Unless optigon has already dealt with this, I would suggest temporarily isolating the new primitive as being the only thing viewable on screen, until it is formally created.

RE: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - Fonte Boa - 11-19-2012

<< I would suggest temporarily isolating the new primitive as being the only thing viewable on screen, until it is formally created >>

In the case Optigon implements the "absolute move" (and duplicates) session in the new primitive preview dialog, then i cant agree: for mechanic/arquitect purposes, it would be useful to visualize all the elements in scene.

If not, your suggestion would be a way to avoid new primitives being occlused by existant scene geometry.

RE: Preview of new Primitives menu and dialogs - Geta-Ve - 11-19-2012

Fair enough. I certainly can't speak from any kind of mechanical or architectural standpoint, so your opinion definitely takes precedence here.

Smile