Wings 3D Development Forum
Change Grid Size? - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Interface & Usage (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Change Grid Size? (/showthread.php?tid=552)

Pages: 1 2

Change Grid Size? - davecollinsjr - 01-10-2014

Hello,
I love wings3d and I'm using it for 3D printing. I'm a total noob - thank heavens for the tutorials!!

I thought it might be useful for me to think of a wu (wings unit) as 1mm in size (I realize it is a theoretical unit - but I thought it would make my design tasks easier). However, if I do that, the size of my model is such (40mm x 70mm) that the tiny 10x10 grid becomes useless.

Is there any way to change the grid size so that it is, perhaps 100x100 instead of 10x10?

Thanks!
Dave

RE: Change Grid Size? - puzzledpaul - 01-10-2014

Either R click on 'grid' or use the option box at the right hand end of the grid menu listing and enter relevant figures.

pp

btw - reading the info line is essential with wings - especially when using the more complex commands, since LMR mouse buttons provide different offerings Smile

RE: Change Grid Size? - Justanother1 - 01-10-2014

You're talking about the Ground Plane? yeah it might be nice to be able to Re-size this ..
doing anything for Daz Studio ..the models are Huge! you have to change camera settings just to view them ..
No ..I don't know of any way to change the Ground Plane

RE: Change Grid Size? - davecollinsjr - 01-11-2014

Thanks @puzzledpaul and @Justanother1. @Justanother1 you hit it on the head, I meant "Ground Plane" not Grid size.

If I design such that 1 wu = 1 mm then my ground plane basically disappears. If that could be made larger it would be awesome.

Thanks!

RE: Change Grid Size? - puzzledpaul - 01-11-2014

Have you considered making your own using a grid?
Then save this as a reference file ... and open same every time you need to use it?

pp

RE: Change Grid Size? - VladD - 01-11-2014

as puzzledpaul suggested, you could define your own user grid by creating a custom sized grid object, then lock it in the geometry graph window (and hiding the default ground plane of course).

Then, you could also emulate grid snapping based upon this same own grid object by defining alternate constraints, in the "constraints" preference tab. Then, initiate a transform command, like move (whatever axis) and before terminating/confirming the move operation hit shift+tab to switch the default wings constraints to the ones you just defined, no need to redo that for further command, nor even the next times that you'll launch wings3D. I used a similar setup to define a UDK compliant grid, with a 16 wings units base constraints.

RE: Change Grid Size? - puzzledpaul - 01-11-2014

+ investigate (if not already done so) The Tools | Bounding Box options ... since the Move To options work to vert precision, I can imagine some scenarios where you might find 'em of use, maybe ?

pp

RE: Change Grid Size? - fgallaire - 01-13-2014

Hello,

Exactly the same problem, I'm modeling for 3D printing with 1mm=1wu and the Ground Plane is undersized.

edit: added link for the patch. - micheus - 01-13-2014

Due to this resource be useful for some users I decide to add an option for this. If it be approved by the main devs, maybe it can be available in the next version. (pull request #63)
The default camera position will still be 80% of the grid size (as currently).

Just showing it with a value of 100 (I limited it to 200, that should be enough):
[Image: new_grid_size_zps9e0a4fc2.jpg]

[edit]
Just in case someone needs much of this and can't wait, here you find the files for replacement. (check the readme.txt file).

RE: Change Grid Size? - fgallaire - 01-14-2014

Thanks, nice job ! Will be very useful when available :-)