Wings 3D Development Forum
Laggy geometry window - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Gripes & Grumbles (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Laggy geometry window (/showthread.php?tid=2229)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: Laggy geometry window - dgud - 03-02-2017

Stephan you should really use 2.1.5 version, it should be better performance wise than 2.0.5.

But many materials is more expensive to draw now than it was before when have we started to work
towards more modern opengl usage.

We are working more on the performance issues, Björn is re-writing a lot of stuff be able to handle larger
models, and I'm working on OpenGL rendering optimizations.

I think you can change the options somewhere how automatic selection modes are handled.

RE: Laggy geometry window - Stephan Vogt - 03-09-2017

I installed v2.1.5, but big problem with backwards compatibility to 1.0.2.
None of the textures load on any of the models I load. So just for testing purposes I went through the process of reassigning the dozen of textures to the material. The purpose of using many textures is that they are used over and over again on different models and need to be tileable. Wings3d handles this perfectly, I can create a whole build set with dozens of meshes in one Wings workspace.

Outcome is not good, much more lag than early version. I have 1000's of wings3d files made over the years, and it is prohibitive for me to convert them all. So apparently from 2.0.5 to 2.1.5 compatibility is broken. I am new to this forum, so I have not read if this was by design.

New version supports normal maps, but when I press tab, I don't see the effect of normal maps, it looks like it did in older versions. Is it supported in any other view mode?

Does anyone know when the Collada exporter plugin was added?
I have been using wings for over a decade and it was the fastest modeling program I have ever used for low poly models. See my work here:

www.sh3d-design.net

RE: Laggy geometry window - dgud - 03-10-2017

Textures not loading seems to be a bug, but it is hard to for me fix that without more info.

Normal maps have worked many years (with hemilight shader), Micheus have improved the
interface for assigning them to a material.

Collada export was also added a couple of years ago, but import was added in 2.1.??

RE: Laggy geometry window - Stephan Vogt - 03-10-2017

Well it appears when I reinstalled 2.0.5 it can't load the textures either. Must be the way that 1.0.2 stores them? It has the ability to store the textures in the wings file itself, a feature that I do not use.
The files are jpg files and present in the same folder. I may as well now install the latest version as this problem persists. I may even get to like the way the docking work in 2.1.5
I know this has been discussed a few years ago, but is there a way to shut off the automatic selection in the geometry window? I cannot model when the program decides for my what to highlight.

RE: Laggy geometry window - oort - 03-10-2017

Stephan,
I think that you need to do the following to improve things when it comes to automatic selection.

Edit > Preferences > General Tab, under "highlighting" check "conditional deselection".

This makes most people happy. I always have that turned on. Hit space bar once to clear selection. Hit space bar twice to clear selection mode.

I checked out your website and what you have is very impressive.

I recently noticed some strange behavior with textures but have not had time to figure out what exactly is happening and describe it... Sad I noticed it when I was playing with the plant model that Micheus made. Textures would get renamed automatically.... cant remember exactly... we may be getting off topic here so maybe you should create a new thread to discuss this... Smile

oort

RE: Laggy geometry window - dgud - 03-14-2017

Stephan can you email me a model and texture (.jpg) that are placed in the same dir
and doesn't load with 2.1.5, I would like to take a look at the problem.

I have looked at the code and I don't see any obvious problems,
so without a model (and image) I can't fix it.
dangud at gmail org

And in the future please write bug reports in the bug thread :-)

RE: Laggy geometry window - Stephan Vogt - 03-31-2017

I know this is no longer about a laggy window, but wanted to post this for continuity.
I have been quite busy learning Unity3D and so finally coming back to post some responses.
The files that don't load images even in wings 2.0.5 are files made by versions before 1.0.2. The solution is to open them in 1.0.2 which does display them, save them. Then they will open properly in version 2.0.5.

I did the selection process as oort suggested, and that works for me. It is not a good workflow if I have to model in the old version and just use 2.0.5 to export.

Then to another problem that has bothered me for ages, ever since Wings decided to have real holes instead of the blue faces. Since I do a lot of low poly modeling, most of the time I mark non rendering faces blue. They can even be Uved and brought back to life by applying a textures later on.

The instruction for removing holes that appear when 2.0.5 loads a 1.0.2 file is to select an adjacent face and use right click on the hole menu to make the hole go away. I see no instruction on how to fix this, which is how I typically make walls, but at a later time remove the holes.

RE: Laggy geometry window - micheus - 03-31-2017

(03-31-2017, 02:27 AM)Stephan Vogt Wrote: I see no instruction on how to fix this, which is how I typically make walls, but at a later time remove the holes.
Maybe because that is produced by you intentionally.
When you removed (Dissolve) the faces from the wall thickness Wings3D will create a back face for the other faces (like in this sample) - In truth, if you select this object in body mode [B] and use the Separate command you will get two objects. Wings3D always works with a manifold object.

But, to fix that you don't need to separate them first. In face mode [F], just select each opposed internal face and use Bridge command. If you have another objects that have more than one face (different of the one you shown us above), then you must make them one before use Bridge command.
If you already used this command before, you probably understand what I'm talking about. Otherwise, let me know and I can make some pictures.

RE: Laggy geometry window - Stephan Vogt - 04-02-2017

micheus:

This is not produced by me intentionally. If you remember back in the days of wings 1.0.2, it used blue faces to signify faces that were not exported. Like this.

When Wings 2.0.5 or 2.1.5 loads the object, it looks like the one in the previous post.
And NO, it does not separate when you use the separate command. You cannot bridge faces that are connected at one side. If you look closely at the image, you can see both sides are connected by the doorway.

So I am still asking is there a way to close those tangent faces back up using wings 2.0.5 ?

Better yet, is there a way to block any wings version newer than 1.0.2 from even removing those faces? Anyways, this is why I am posting under grumbles because I have not been able to solve it without major effort for that last 5 years, especially if you have hundreds of missing faces in a file.
There is a workaround by going back to the ancient version and replacing the blue faces with the default and reloading it in the newer version. And then if I need to export, I make new holes that of course I don't know how to put back again. This is why I am still using a wings version from 2009.

RE: Laggy geometry window - micheus - 04-02-2017

(04-02-2017, 04:26 AM)Stephan Vogt Wrote: This is not produced by me intentionally. If you remember back in the days of wings 1.0.2, it used blue faces to signify faces that were not exported. Like this.
When Wings 2.0.5 or 2.1.5 loads the object, it looks like the one in the previous post.
I see. I didn't knew about that.

Sorry for the delay. I had to download and install the old 1.0.2 and do a test.
You can use what I said in the previous post, but before you need to select the faces (it can be select the entire object, but then back in Face mode) and use Hole [RMB] (remove hole). That will put your model in the condition I was expecting before. Then you can select the internal faces and Bridge them.