Wings 3D Development Forum
POV-Ray [plugin] (updated: 2016/Aug/08) - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: POV-Ray [plugin] (updated: 2016/Aug/08) (/showthread.php?tid=75)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: POV-Ray plugin [update] - maker - 12-27-2012

Further test

I can't understand why the top of the "lamp" is lighted. The lamp is just a simple cube with one edge extruded inside and scaled down. That face then extracted, moved ahead and converted to area light.

The wings and pov file are attached, if anybody is interested in looking at it.

RE: POV-Ray plugin [update] - oort - 12-27-2012

maker,
I tried to download the zip file but even though I am logged in I keep getting a window that says I need to be logged in order to download the file... Sad

Not sure what you mean by top of the "lamp" is lighted. I will create the scene and see if what you are asking makes sense then.

Edit: I think I understand now...the box that is enclosing the light is being lit up even though you would think that the box should be dark and only the box on the ground should receive any light.... Strange.... I don't know why this would happen.... Sad

If Pov-Ray supports IES lights they would possibly give the same effect you are seeking???

oort

RE: POV-Ray plugin [update] - micheus - 12-27-2012

maker, thanks for the files.
(12-27-2012, 06:23 PM)maker Wrote: I can't understand why the top of the "lamp" is lighted. The lamp is just a simple cube with one edge extruded inside and scaled down. That face then extracted, moved ahead and converted to area light.
A simple face (you had extracted) worked just as the regular Area light - only four vertices. I'm supposedly making nothing if I reach this condition. Supposedly because (I don't know if you have noticed) the shadow is in the opposed side of the cube.

It was good play with your file - I found some issues I couldn't find before by using cubes or spheres. Smile
If you cut the four edges of your lamp (select and hit 2), then it will be treated as a mesh lamp and the shadow will be displayed in the right side of the cube. But, if you make it bright (playing with Ambient values) you will notice that the plane is now rotated.

I'm doing something wrong yet. Biggrin

RE: POV-Ray plugin [update] - micheus - 12-27-2012

Plugin updated.
I forgot to applay matrix tranformation (POV uses left-handed coordinate systems). Blush

[Image: temparealight.th.png]
regular Area light

[Image: tempmeshlight.th.png]
after cut the edges - "Mesh" light

[Image: temp3tempmeshlightambie.th.png]
"Mesh" light with Ambient value 1.0 and Emissive Filter 0.001

For this last situation, you will notice in the .pov file, that there is a multiplier for the Ambient in the texture declaration (look_at_looks_like { mesh2 { ...).
I'm calculing it automaticly in order to make the "object" glow - it will looks like you see it in the Wings.

RE: POV-Ray plugin [update] - maker - 12-28-2012

(12-27-2012, 09:15 PM)micheus Wrote: A simple face (you had extracted) worked just as the regular Area light - only four vertices. I'm supposedly making nothing if I reach this condition. Supposedly because (I don't know if you have noticed) the shadow is in the opposed side of the cube.
I did not Blush I had to rush to, uh... you know where.

Quote:If you cut the four edges of your lamp (select and hit 2), then it will be treated as a mesh lamp and the shadow will be displayed in the right side of the cube. But, if you make it bright (playing with Ambient values) you will notice that the plane is now rotated.

Now this is becoming really interesting. I'll have to play with it as soon as I get time.

BTW, did you notice the images in the post before the "lamp" one.

The torus is a narrow 3 x 3 encircling the cube, both at origin. Two points of interest:

1. The torus is fully "lit," but the cube isn't. I'll check ASAP if dividing the torus will make it a meshlight. (As your previous post seems to suggest.)

2. Parts of the torus are in shadow. (They should ideally be ambient - or emissive? - 1 or 1+).

Perhaps oort can help in this? Or maybe I (we?) can play with the lights in Pov-ray editor, trying to understand the newer lights. (Unlike you guys I need to actually play around with the options before I understand them.)

(12-27-2012, 11:40 PM)micheus Wrote: Plugin updated.
I forgot to applay matrix tranformation (POV uses left-handed coordinate systems). Blush
For this last situation, you will notice in the .pov file, that there is a multiplier for the Ambient in the texture declaration (look_at_looks_like { mesh2 { ...).
I'm calculing it automaticly in order to make the "object" glow - it will looks like you see it in the Wings.

Thanks. Downloading. Will try ASAP Smile

RE: POV-Ray plugin [update] - micheus - 12-28-2012

(12-28-2012, 03:57 AM)maker Wrote: BTW, did you notice the images in the post before the "lamp" one.

[img=250x113 link=http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/664/cwpovlttorus1.jpg]http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/664/cwpovlttorus1.jpg[/img]
The torus is a narrow 3 x 3 encircling the cube, both at origin. Two points of interest:

1. The torus is fully "lit," but the cube isn't. I'll check ASAP if dividing the torus will make it a meshlight. (As your previous post seems to suggest.)
I think it's alread divided enough. Smile
The answer you know - at least you talked about it many times these days: It's a point light and it's placed in the center or the area - or, in this case, inside of the cube.

Quote:2. Parts of the torus are in shadow. (They should ideally be ambient - or emissive? - 1 or 1+).
Yes, for this you will need to do what I have mentioned before (play with objects' Ambient property and Emissive Filter). Here is the result:
[Image: toruslight.png]
The reflexion in the floor you already know that we can improve it by using v3.7+area_illumination but, it seems that area light is good for objects without hole.
I believe we need another aproach for this situation, maybe using media for object (like we want create neon light - I will try put an image soon)

Hmm, yes, reflections are a big problem. It's lucky you thought of testing for that. I wonder if using a large emissive (and no light) could be a solution. And maybe the strength could be translated as emissive. (Don't mind me, I'm just thinking aloud. Wink )

I'll make some tests in pov-ray. (I think it's important for me to understand what's going on in pov-ray before trying to tackle it in Wings) Though, no doubt, you'll have got the solution before that.

For some time, I got sidetracked into reading some of puzzledpaul's quite wonderful problem-solving tutorials. They're not only wonderful examples of lateral-thinking, but encourage you to think, "What if?" I love them Smile

Edit: A thought: why not ask for suggestions in the Pov-ray forum?

Edit2: Just digested your last part, about media. I never used media, but you may have hit the nail on the head. (Slight doubts about reflection, still.)

(12-28-2012, 06:24 PM)maker Wrote: Edit2: Just digested your last part, about media. I never used media, but you may have hit the nail on the head. (Slight doubts about reflection, still.)
I think that we need to be sure about what we get in this scene.
They can suggest this one: Neon Tubes (Anyone can tell me how to make them emit light)(check the links for images)
Yeah, I had already looked for it these days. Smile

Just in case you don't know it (and it's good for oort), I would like present "the state of the art" of POV-Ray tutorials: Descriptions and Examples for the POV-Ray Raytracer by Friedrich A. Lohmueller

I believe the the answer for this example is this one: Light Sword
with Emitting Media

[Edit 1]: Did you talk something about ambient occlusion?
Ah! I have a link about this too: Ambient Occlusion Test

[Edit 2]: I still need to answer oort's questions Smile

And here are the results of my tests.
1st image: as exported :: 2nd: edited in pov-ray

(sorry, it's actually emission 5, not 2)

Add keyword to finish: E.g.
Finish {specular rgb 0.25 emission rgb <2, 2, 2> ...}

Hopefully this answers your first question.

Meanwhile I'll try to digest what you've said (including your links.) Thanks for the link to AO. There's also this: AO baking, if you're interested. (Uses "Mesh Camera" feature of Pov-ray). His "lightsys" is supposedly is better for realistic lighting using Pov-ray.

Edit: Just checked out your "media" link. At first sight, it does seem better - where we need to show some material (as in neon-lights.) Though I wonder how "emission" light Unioned with copy of obj with materials will work. And, of course, for animations, it may be a lot better.

Cool!
Do we need include something in wings to make this settings be exported?