Wings 3D Development Forum
POV-Ray [plugin] (updated: 2016/Aug/08) - Printable Version

+- Wings 3D Development Forum (https://www.wings3d.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Wings 3D (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Design & Development (https://www.wings3d.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: POV-Ray [plugin] (updated: 2016/Aug/08) (/showthread.php?tid=75)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

RE: POV-Ray [plugin] (updated: 2016/Aug/08) - micheus - 08-12-2016

(08-11-2016, 02:19 AM)tkbd Wrote: Micheus,In my environment, even if set the background-color to rgbt, I could't get transparent background.
Try the file I'm using: light_environment-skydome_export.pov

tkbd Wrote: I don't have a deep understanding about the options...
Could you try filter and transmit option to the caustics problem?
The filter and transmit must be used in the object statement - that in this case would be the glass sphere.
A bit about them: Transparency - "filter" or "transmit"

tkbd Wrote:To Wings3D PovRay Plugin developer. (Edited: 2016/8/11)
Do you have any plan enable set the rendering quality?
Are you asking me to add this option or it's just something you picked from an old post?
If so, how that can help someone. Check its results, although I didn't use a media statement:
[Image: teste-_Q0.jpg]

I'm still playing with, but the SSLT resource seems to be an interesting addition too.

"If this setting is off, the default, radiosity based diffuse illumination is computed as if the surrounding objects had subsurface light transport turned off. Setting this to on may improve realism especially in the presence of materials with high translucency, but at some cost in rendering time." ref. Subsurface and Radiosity

The example isn't good. The left one has the radiosity disabled and the right one it's enabled:
[Image: test_2.png]

RE: POV-Ray [plugin] (updated: 2016/Aug/08) - oort - 08-12-2016

Micheus,
I did not know that SSLT (SSS) was available in Pov-Ray.

I did a little bit of googling and found the following link interesting: SSLT Finish

Quote: Subsurface Light Transport

The subsurface light transport feature, also know as subsurface scattering, is enabled ONLY when a global_settings subsurface block is present. For example, to enable SSLT and use it's default settings, you can specify an empty block.

global_settings {
subsurface {}
}

To activate SSLT for a particular object you will also need to add the following statement to its finish block.

material {
texture {
pigment { PIGMENT }
finish {
subsurface { translucency COLOR }
}
}
interior { ior FLOAT }
}

What I found most interesting is that The Bounty (Fork build of YafaRay) uses a setting in the material combined with a setting in the global settings like Pov-Ray does.

I have tried SSLT/SSS in Kerkythea in the past and TheBounty is much faster. Even though SSS is slow compared to other materials.

oort

RE: POV-Ray [plugin] (updated: 2016/Aug/08) - tkbd - 08-12-2016

micheus Wrote:light_environment-skydome_export.pov
Transparency - "filter" or "transmit"

Micheus,Thank you.
I'm going to give them a try.

micheus Wrote:Are you asking me to add this option
Yes I am. And the result is as your presentation images.
I ask add to be able to change this option in the render dialog of "File> Render> Pov-Ray".

For example to change the rendering quality to 1
Currently,I must open Wings's menu and select "Edit> Plugin-Preferences>Pov-Ray",
and add "+Q1" option to Arguments.
Next,I select "File> Render> Pov-Ray" for open a dialog for rendering.

So,If could control the option from the rendering dialog, it is convenient.

--------
tkbd

tkbd,

This statement
Quote:To Wings3D PovRay Plugin developer. (Edited: 2016/8/11)
Makes me think you did not know that Micheus is the one updating the plugin. Micheus is the developer doing the work... Smile

oort

(08-12-2016, 03:29 AM)oort Wrote: I did a little bit of googling and found the following link interesting: SSLT Finish
I found that too.Smile

In the global options we can use the parameters like this:
Code:
subsurface {
    mm_per_unit  INT
    radiosity BOOL
    samples INT, INT    
}

which I think this parameter is very important to produce a good result:
mm_per_unit: "To adjust materials to the dimensions of your scene, you should first determine the proper mm_per_unit setting (it should always match the actual scale of the object) to use in the global settings block, then adjust the materials translucency value."

It's well documented in that link and I think we need to make a relationship between the Wings3d units and the units used by POV-Ray in order to properly set its value.

In TheBounty, under Render Optioins > Lighting Tab > Subsurface Scattering, there is a Scale setting. Can you do something like this in Pov-Ray? I have never studied the rendering code for Pov-Ray so I do not know how different it is... Sad

oort

(08-12-2016, 01:33 PM)oort Wrote: tkbd,

This statement
Quote:To Wings3D PovRay Plugin developer. (Edited: 2016/8/11)
Makes me think you did not know that Micheus is the one updating the plugin. Micheus is the developer doing the work... Smile
I didn't. But I can assume this post.Biggrin
I contacted the real plugin developer in Jul/2009 - Avariant - and he told me do not have intention to maintain the plugin.

(08-12-2016, 01:49 PM)oort Wrote: In TheBounty, under Render Optioins > Lighting Tab > Subsurface Scattering, there is a Scale setting. Can you do something like this in Pov-Ray?
I think we can use this post as reference.

Micheus,
Thank you for taking the post of Pov-Ray plugin developer. You have become the master of the Rendering plugins... Kerkythea, The Bounty, and now Pov-Ray... Smile

I look forward to testing your next version with SSLT.

Thanks again,
oort

About the caustic issue related to the transparent background use, it was confirmed it's a bug. My post at POV-Ray news group. The guy said it will be fixed in next 3.7.1. The possible problem is: when it will be released. Undecided