Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Linux?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have been transitioning over to linux from Windows for about 6 months and one of the applications that I have really missed has been ManifoldLab/Wings3D. I have Wings, Obviously but Manifoldlab is not bundled and so there is a lot of functionality that I have grown to use a lot is just not there. Is there a guide as to how I can get manifoldlab working on 64bit Debian based linux?
Depends a bit on just how determined you are to get this done.

Being the MLAB developer ... I can sort of hack and slash build a tar ball that can install with the
offical plugin installer that is each wings3d official release. But here is the problem of knowing the plugin dependencies. There are more than a few of those dependencies between various of my plugins.

Chance of something like this getting done go up a good deal if you were to tell me you were a VMWare user. But I'm guessing that's not the case. I happen to be a long longtime user of VMWARE and do most of my software dev on VMS.

All this above being said ... I have been working on "unwinding" the plugin to plugin dependencies a bit so I could deliver more of them say "ala carte" or individually wrapper.

I can sort of do that for importers and exporters and Booleans and Scatter and voronoi stuff. But it is still a little time consuming.

Do you think you need the whole thing ... all of MLAB ?

At this point ... not having made a linux build in ages and ages ... I might have to compile the QHULL, TETGEN and CarveCSG parts again for debian. Not sure.

You don't do anything crazy like build your own WINGS3D for your debian do you ? If yes ... then perhaps that make some parts easier. IE ... I would know that a Wings3D was "buildable" for a given debian flavor.
I have compiled things but that was following very clear step by step directions. Other than that I don't do any development of any sort. I'm in the "User" category. . . not a developer.

The main things I use of yours tend to revolve around Boolean operations. Merging and cutting holes in things etc. Whatever voodoo you do tends to work better than most other solutions I have tried. I have played with and have used your procedural mesh generation quite a few times. Most recently to almost perfectly create a filter sponge zoomed in real close. . but as I am modeling that isn't something that I reach for regularly.
What debain are you using ? I could TRY ... after a time to build the manifoldlab for that Debian.

The Boolean plugin (tarball) might just work on your debian.
I'm using Crunchbang Linux that are drawing from the "Testing" or "Jessie" repositories.
Are you able to use the 1.5.3 debian official release that is linked to from these pages ?

I'd like to be able to help you ... but these question must ask. If play Linux/Wings again sometime soon ... I'd start with that official debian installer. I think there are other builds around.
Yes I'm able to use the official 1.5.3 Debian release.

Where can I find this Boolean plugin (tarball)?

I found it here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3cwsi5kvm0jeiae/MI5-gFdPqM

I managed to install it and it . . . didn't work. :-( Everything I try and do says that no new impressions were made, see the rules. I'll see if I can find some rules. :-)

No way. I got manifold lab working on my Linux install. Sort of. I have had to use one of your older 32 bit installers and use wine but it is working! Woo hoo!
Wegg ... I'm betting that tarball does not have any debian compiled binary for carveCSG's intersect tool in there. It probably just has win32 and mac. So I was out of turn when I suggested the ala-carte Boolean or forgetting the key part is native code.

Let me know if the Wine is working out well enough.
It is working great. The only hickup being that I am forced to use whatever you chose to compile in 32bit. Wine doesn't do 64bit yet. But it totally worked. I got the model built and delivered to my client. I. . . have to say you and your vast array of fun tools are what keep me coming back to Wings. I wish your tools were included into wings in a more official manor. Especially Booleans.
(12-18-2014, 10:29 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]
Hank Wrote:@ggaliens:
Boroleans option in Mlab are incredible. I want to have them in official W3D!
You can. ggaliens already made it available as a "standalone" plugin. No need to be in the core since it uses a 3rd part software.

The updates look awesome!

Is there a repository for these plugins? Are the plugins platform agnostic or do they have dependencies that would restrict their use to just Windows?
Pages: 1 2