Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Dan , Micheus ... how to re-submit pull-request ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Dan , Micheus ... how to re-submit pull-request ?

Is there a really simple way to do this ?

Shamefully, I have been deleting a branch ... and then re-making it in order to do a correction. Of course, I would like to do better than this.

Any tips would be appreciated. Now I'll go look up some git commands.
Code:
## This file is NAMED ...   makefile.git

BRANCH_NAME=sc-build-colors
COMMIT_TEXT="Transfer color information upwards during import from e3d_mesh"
CHANGED_FILE=src/wings_we.erl
git="/c/program files (x86)/git/bin/git"
export git

get-sandbox:    
    -echo -------------------------- GET SHARED WINGS ----------------------------------------
    -$(git) clone git@github.com:ggaliens/wings
    -cp makefile.git ./wings/makefile.git
    -make -f makefile.git -C ./wings  get-sandbox-part2    

get-sandbox-part2:    
    -echo -------------------------- SET USER INFO -------------------------------------------
    -$(git) config user.name "Mark Whittemore"
    -$(git) config user.email "ggaliens@nycap.rr.com"
    -echo --------------------------- CONSIDER A MASTER UPSTREAM -----------------------------
    -$(git)  remote add upstream git://github.com/dgud/wings
    -$(git)  fetch upstream
    -echo --------------------------- MAKE THE BRANCH PER MODULE/CHANGE ----------------------
    -$(git)  branch ggaliens/$(BRANCH_NAME) upstream/master
    -$(git)  checkout ggaliens/$(BRANCH_NAME)

push-sandbox:
    -$(git)  add $(CHANGED_FILE)
    -$(git)   commit -m $(COMMIT_TEXT)
    -echo ----  Push the branch to github  --------------------------------------------------
    -$(git)   push origin ggaliens/$(BRANCH_NAME)

push-more-sandbox:
    -$(git)  add $(CHANGED_FILE)
    -$(git)   commit -m $(COMMIT_TEXT) --amend
    -echo ----  Push the branch to github  --------------------------------------------------
    -$(git)   pull
    -$(git)   push origin ggaliens/$(BRANCH_NAME)

Above makefile is just enumerating the sort of GIT commands I'm using.

I got in trouble for showing this once before ;-) but I'm not ashamed for trying.

There have got to be some glaring issues with the above that are making things harder for me.

The only part from above that seems 100% dysfunctional is the push-more-sandbox commands.
But ... what do I know. I need some help with GIT. Have never been real comfortable with it.
(03-29-2015, 04:26 PM)ggaliens Wrote: [ -> ]... how to re-submit pull-request ?

Is there a really simple way to do this ?
Once the pull request is much more like a reference to your branch, I don't see any problem in you just force a new push over it.

Something important to think about is: your code must be updated/synchronized with the master branch you want it merged. So, update an old pull request can be needed to get it merged to the current master branch.

That's my thought and how I would proceed.
I don't know anything about makefile.git script. I run all git commands by hand - it's my way to learn them.
Just now I saw your comment at github.
Code:
$ "/c/program files (x86)/git/bin/git" push origin ggaliens/sc-build-colors
ssh: connect to host github.com port 22: Bad file number
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

I believe your problem is related to the SSH keys (the id_rsa files). Check your SSH Key at github.
It could be that Micheus ... but only if some of the commands ran a-foul and locked me out somehow.

I hope my actions didn't "invalidate" my current key ... since the good part of having the commands listed is ... they are suppose to run the same way every time (state machine acts in predicable way with luck).
Create a new Key is not a big deal. I have one for each environment I created (MinGW, Ubuntu and Mint on VM).

You can create a new one and replace the current ones to try if that is the problem (backup them if you want).
No ... that's not the problem. I understand why you think that from googling the error messege. But it is not the problem. For example ... I can rerun same git commands if for example I delete the branck at GITHUB. Effectively redo.

This means it is not the SSH KEY as the problem. Thanks for the thoughts though.

It more likely means ... I just don't have permission for the git command because of the branch to master sharing rules (ie I'm messing up the commands).
Ok. It seems you have already fixed that by deleting the old branch sc-build-colors and creating a new one sc-build-colors-take2.
Yeah. But that's not at all what I want to do. That's lame behavior for me. I want to learn to do better with GIT. I have a mental block for sure when it comes to git.
Well, everything related to git I have used I have shared in the proper thread - it's there as a reference.

Something I learned is that I don't need afraid of mess up my branches. When I want do that for any kind of test to learn about the git commands, I just backup the worked files before. Wink

There is a graphic UI for git in case you want to try. Even the installed version of git under MinGW offers us the gitk that is also a visual UI with options to manage the branches.
Pages: 1 2