Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Rounded bevels...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well, here are some images showing the results... and below is the link to the Wings files:

[Image: Tidbits%20beveled_zpsytoqprvo.jpg]

https://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/oOAe...9xdJgT5hag
OK ... looks pretty nice Dimitri. I thought I was going to give you more odd poles like a vert with 5 edges ... but I don't think it matters too much. Thanks for sharing. It does give me some ideas.

I do see what I think are "ARTIFACTS" that could be lessened if the procedure had more manual intervention. But hard to say. Sure it works better in boxes and such.
Mark as you know simple meshes are always better manageable regarding any kind of modeling operation, so the cubes too as to the beveling matters. This is a fact, no doubt. But I think that here the beveling in more complex shapes too is giving quite nice results. So, it would be great to have such a feature in Wings. I do not know how difficult such a thing can be as to its implementation. The thing I know, however, is that it would be a very significant contribution to Wings' further evolution as a modeling app. : - )
Is this going to be implemented
Rounded bevels ...

If I was sure I could do it in a couple hours ... I'd just start it ... but Rounded Bevels feels like an all day affair or might even take a few days ... in no small part to not having a great implementation strategy.

If anyone can FUDGE a rounded bevel with a MACRO or sequence of Wings3D command ... I can surely help to automate ... but I think it's going to require some fairly original code (original to wings), so I can't venture to guess when it would be done. I don't want to forget about it though.
Howard T ?
What a blast from the past.

Yes ... his analysis and presentation on bevel might be very handy.

Thanks.
Been working on a nice bevel today. Have some groundwork functions laid out.

Amazingly enough ... I think Wings3D is missing "select by face corners". For example you have a face that is a hexagon ... formed by bisecting the three edges. Maybe then you crumple the entire hexagon just a tiny bit. After this ... the hexagon by appearances ... has just three corners (assuming a tolerance for very weak corners).

Select by face corners will be a stepping stone toward bevel. If it is in there already ... let me know. But I think it needs to be implemented in simple form.
So, you are experimenting for finding a solution Mark... this is good news. : - )
Pages: 1 2 3 4