Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Rounded bevels...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Well ... I'm releasing something that "WORKS". But will need to be tested.

It is done in three PARTS at this time

1) Bevel edges on entire object. No partial bevels place.
2) Run Bevel Retopo (MLAB)
4) Use tighten on all vertices.

This should give you a pretty good result. If it does not ... share a model with me please. And we will try to do better.
Tried it... it is very near to give a perfect result. The problem arises when using 'tighten': the outer edges of the bevels go too far. There happens a loss of equal distances between the edges constituting the bevels. It is a problem that makes the bevels loose their roundness when the tightening amount is increased.

It seems, in short, that it is a matter of equalizing the bevel edges' distance between them. Is there not a way to find a solution to this issue?

Another question too: why not having an option to increase the newly created bevel edges' number (in 'bevel retopo' command)? It can be a way, maybe, of achieving smoother rounding -when needed- in the bevels.
"It seems, in short, that it is a matter of equalizing the bevel edges' distance between them. Is there not a way to find a solution to this issue?"

Yes. At some point ... that is the goal. But ... topology construction needed to happen first.

Let's make it work right for bevel N=4 first before we more onwards.

Are you sure you cannot eyeball a nice tighten value for you particular model ?

Would you like to share your model so I can see ?
'Are you sure you cannot eyeball a nice tighten value for you particular model?'

No, it is good. The results it gives are quite acceptable. Just thought that in the case we have equal distances between the edges that form the bevels would be even better (the same applies to the edges amount matter too). It is just a thought.

Also... did discern it after writing my previous message: the bevel retopo does not work for simpler bevel cases. Inset, for example, a face on a cube, extrude the new face created with insetting, select the edges on its base, 'bevel retopo' them... nothing happens. It is something that needs a solution. Someone should have the ability to do a beveling of all the edges of an object at once. It is the natural way of beveling an object. It is the way it works in all the well known modeling apps.
I see that the very middle vertex in each patch-cluster does not move at all with the tighten. This is bad. I have some new ideas.

Send me TEST models with the initial bevel set and faces left as selected. I'll your model.

We might need something like this ...

http://2000clicks.com/mathhelp/GeometryC...oints.aspx

It should maybe help us to beautify each little bevel "patch" by making them fit more to an appropriate sphere.
To be honest, I do understand nothing from the things said in the link but, anyway, I will post images explaining what I mean regarding the problems i do meet. I do not have a so good relation with mathematical explanations. We can communicate, however, through visual means. : - )
Each of the little patches of vertices near an original edges junction ... these would be better if "deformed" just a tad. Instead of using "tighten" we can try "spherical" of our own design. That's what the link is for.

This link is also maybe nice. I like to read Javascript.

http://www.abecedarical.com/javascript/s...olver.html
Are you implementing a bebel tool or a combination of tools to get the same result

Testing the bebel retopo it only work on beveling corner not simple bebel like a cube loop border

[Image: Screenshot%202016-04-17%2012.12.17_zpsccuxkies.png]

The bebel in the top I use bebel>ring edge>cut"4 or 5">circularise
There is a lot of potential for me to re-work what I have done to more effectively utilize the existing circularize code. Circularize is very cool.
This is cleanest looking sphere form 4 points logic I have seen so far.

https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-find-th..._4-y_4-z_4
Pages: 1 2 3 4