Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Exports for 3D Printing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been able to create objects for printing by building them in W3D and exporting them to the .stl format. The problem is that if the item was created from more than a single simple object (two cylinders, say) the printer leaves gaps where the two constituent objects intersect.

Is there a way of changing a complex W3D object, built from multiple basic objects into a single surface? "combine" does not do it. That function has to retain the information on the constituent objects for the "separate" function to work, and the problem persists.

[attachment=477]

I need a command that will convert an object into a single surface. I realize that would probably be irreversible, but it would solve my printer problems.
Hi,

For first you can read my topic about preparing 3D modelu to print Here

Anyway you need to use bridge command or model everything from one shape to achieve watertight mesh. If you combine 2 different objects it is going to be only an information for modeler to treat them as one shape. Of course you can always use Boolean operations from ManifoldLab Plug-ins Collection, the most easy way I think.

I hope it helped Smile

EDIT: thanks oort Wink
I think Marcin meant to say... use the Bridge command and not the "bride" command... Smile

oort