Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: [W.I.P.] Curve Tools plugin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
(10-15-2018, 10:43 AM)Dimitri Wrote: [ -> ]I think that when we duplicate the object it has to be duplicated without the curve.
I agree, but the problem here is: without the curve the object shape cannot be edited - the curve and parameters, they define the object.

I probably would need to implement some kind of curve instance and pivot for the object in order to make one curve define multiple objects spread all around as well as to manage to work with the object on screen itself, which I don't do. Sad
I already use a custom geometry window to not have to deal with Wings3D's objects and my curves at the same time, since it would have some limitations and the user could to get confused to not be able to do some usual actions over Wings3D' objects when in "curve mode".

It's already getting more complex than I was expecting. Huh

(10-15-2018, 12:18 PM)tkbd Wrote: [ -> ]Is my understanding correct?
Almost. My initial idea was:
- duplicate applied to a curve should to create a new curve ignoring any object definition attached to the original curve;
- duplicate applied to a object should to create a new curve with all object definition. (for the reasons I pointed above)

Quote:Also,I think necessary that ask user whether curve keep when make the permanent object.
I would be want to reuse the curves at anytime if that situation.
I was keeping the curve by default, but it's a good idea enable that too.

Last year when I saw a tutorial to do this bracelet I start to think how to we could do that in Wings3D - and we really can't do it in a simple way.
[Image: pulseira-masculina-bracelete-couro.jpg]
That is one of those situations I think we can use only one curve to manage many objects.
Just remembering I'm not creating a path deformer modifier, but we should to be able to use the plugin to build that easily. Smile

I'll try to make a video this week showing how this things are working by now.
Micheus do you have any news about your plugin here? Having it would be a very significant enrichment for Wings, so it would be a pity if you abandon it.

Wishes for a happy new year!
(12-29-2018, 11:16 AM)Dimitri Wrote: [ -> ]Having it would be a very significant enrichment for Wings, so it would be a pity if you abandon it.
It was not abandoned.
I've been helping in the latest Wings3D release and fixing some bugs, so I didn't have time for it. (the priority is always for the official version)

Also, because the new version would bring its own new issues I thought it would be better give it a time before I make a version available - one problem at a time. Smile

I also wish all the best for you in the next year!
Hi Micheus,

I'd like to share with some ideas existing in Blender3D which could be used for your function:
- put an object on path and slide it
imagine you model a zipper (in a jacket) and you want to set zip fastener is specific place...
It could be done with bounding box option but needs more steps and when path logic is designed with slide function then it's much easier and faster
- repeat an object on path
imagine you model one part from a zipper [a tooth] and you want to set some length. If this option is available, then one part repeated few times could build all element in one step.
Other solution: model one part from a zipper and use absolute commands + move + duplicates and in the end put all the model on the path [if available for new path logic]
- extrude path => select first or last point and extrude it = makes the path longer
- divide or cut the path => add more points between existing = make the path more curvy
- close the path => connect first point with the last = creates a ring
- influence => you set a path inside human arm. With influence option [similar to sculpt] and moving the path you can set new [arm] pose

beside above suggestion I try to imagine different scenarios which might happen in my W3D adventure, like: a chain [you set one chain ring + duplicate + rotate 90 every second piece...] or a rope [make a single rope element + set it on the path + extrude the path = a lasso] or a shoe lace [model a shoe lace start and end + set it on the path + move path points to design requested form] and so on...

BR, Hank
Thanks for the comments.
It already cover the items #1, #2 and #5. Smile
Chains can be done in #2.

I had some time to switch back to it and I saw its broken with the new changes to the source code Sad
The last thing I was doing was to implement the helix command and convert it to a a bèzier curve, but I'm still not satisfied with the result.
Since there is no bugs to be fixed, I can get back to this... Smile

I finished the Helix primitive which builds a Bèzier Curve in a form of helix. There is some standard parametrization that can be used for change its shape. Also, by now, it's only creating the helix using the standard axis (X,Y,Z), but now I'm going to try find a what to use a curve as axis parameter.

Micheus,
Looking very impressive so far. Thanks for all your work on this.

oort
Today I finally found an article that help me to fix the twisted mesh that can be caused by the use of the Frernet frame approach to compute the orientations (Normal/Binormal), but I already discovered it can mess up with curves like the helix which was absolutely right for our use. So, back to try to find a way to workaround that.

(01-26-2019, 05:13 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]but I already discovered it can mess up with curves like the helix which was absolutely right for our use. So, back to try to find a way to workaround that.
I didn't find anything (article/video) that could to help me with this - I was already tearing my hair out. So, I installed Blender and played around with its Bèzier curves and guess what? It's a "normal" behavior.
I noticed it offers an option to the user choose which kind of twisting method to use: Tangent (the first I was using and that sometimes creates some mesh distortion); Minimum (the one shown before) and a Z-Up option.

Now, I think I can just do the same by adding these options and try to go ahead. Smile
Twist mode added and working...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14