Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Preferences causes app to crash
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I know this sounds like it belongs in the bug section, but as there's no crash dump I can't provide any useful data. It might well resolve itself with a few updates, but maybe someone else has encountered this and have some advice...

I've been using wings for ages without an issue when all of a sudden it quits or crashes whenever I click the cogwheel or use the edit menu to access the prefs. Everything else seems to work fine. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, updated to the latest version and even tried older versions (currently back to latest), force installed the DLLs, deleted the prefs... No result.

As said, the application otherwise remains usable, and my only real problem is this:

I've deleted the only pref change I really needed - the control+right click to orbit camera (my middle mouse button sometimes doesn't respond). The pref file is only a text file and wings still seems to use it. If anyone can tell me what lines to change in the pref text to get that function, if at all possible, I'd most appreciate this.
Further to this episode, I was able to find the correct lines in the preferences text file Biggrin

Should anyone like to know, it involved changing camera mode to nendo {camera_mode,nendo} and the number of buttons to 2 {num_buttons,2}.

Opening the preferences from within wings still causes the app to quit.
OneManStanding, I'm glad you was able to workaround your problem.

In order to try figure out what is causing the crash you have been experiencing, - and assuming we are talking about Windows OS - could you please create a shortcut like this: "C:\Program Files\wings3d_2.1.7\bin\werl.exe" -run wings_start start -extra "C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming

After you run the shortcut you must to see the werl.exe (Erlang console) start and the Wings3D window be shown. Then you try to access the preferences as you mentioned before and when Wings3D's window close you should be able to get any error message in the erlang console. Copy and past its content here please.
I used the shortcut and both apps launched. But accessing the prefs caused them both to quit without any message being displayed. If you want to check it out, I try it twice in the video, the second one I show both windows at once...

https://youtu.be/PYH_L4UIxpQ
Thanks for the feedback.

That's really weird. I have no clue about what can be happening.
No worries, these things happen! At least I found a work around Smile and most importantly wings is still working for me. No doubt some background system update will come around, it'll just start working again all by itself, and we'll be none the wiser and just chalk it down to one of life's big mysteries.

Thanks for your help, nevertheless Smile

...if we're finished with it I better take that video down before it goes viral.
(11-07-2018, 05:02 PM)OneManStanding Wrote: [ -> ]...if we're finished with it I better take that video down before it goes viral.
Yeah, do that. Biggrin

Can you check if there is a file named erl_crash.dump in you PC? I think it may be found at Wings3D install folder (like: C:\Program Files\wings3d_2.1.7), but it can better search in the entire hard drive.
Couldn't find anything. The only clue I've got is from the event monitor...

Faulting application name: werl.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5aa846f7
Faulting module name: igdrclneo64.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5a96b19b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000030819
Faulting process id: 0x1da8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d476b2b6e1797b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\wings3d_2.1.7\bin\werl.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\igdlh64.inf_amd64_250db833a1cd577e\igdrclneo64.dll
Report Id: 0b35f1ce-873a-4ffa-a500-fd2a416b5c58
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Did you tried to rename your original preferences.txt file and allow Wings3D to create a new one?
I did. In fact, I've renamed, even deleted the preferences and also the folder several times over trying to figure it out; Wings creates a new one provided I leave the application properly the first time. I've also ran Wings and the installer in different compatibility modes to see if that helped, but no result.

Bug section says that by now most bugs are fixed, and remaining issues are just curious to certain pcs. I tend to agree with that. Everything else about Wings works no problems. For instance, I can open the camera settings in the View menu and change the FOV. Us the outliner and geometry windows.

Don't worry, I can still use it, which is the most important thing Biggrin
Pages: 1 2