Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: How to remove default sheen?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I'm new to Wings and trying to create some very simple models.

However, I've run into a issue:

Whenever I create a new object, such as a cube, it will have some sort of "sheen" or "highlight" applied to it by default. The faces are not flat matte.
This can be seen by switching to "show objects with smooth shading" mode.

This is causing a problem because it shows through my texture.

It doesn't seem to be part of the material because when I export to obj, I discard the mtl file anyway, but the sheen remains.

If I create a basic cube in another app, such as Blender, then import it into Wings, the sheen does not appear. This is how I'm forced to use Wings at the moment.

Does anyone know what this sheen is and how I can remove it?
Did you tried to disable the smooth group or not include normals in the Export dialog?
I've just tried this, but the sheen remains.

Here's a screenshot to show what I mean:

Blank new file. Cube on the left created in Wings. Cube on the right imported from Blender.
You are in the smooth preview mode. Disable it by hitting Tab key (it's the default mode). You can use the main menu View option.

About the shiny material itself, it's the default settings for PBR one. You can create your own material or even change the light shader mode from Camera Light to Hemisphere Light - also under View Manu option.
It's not how they look within Wings that I care about. It's how they look when exported. I just enabled smooth preview to demonstrate it.

When I create my own material it still has the shininess and none of the settings seem to affect that. What is PBR one?

Also, when I import a cube from Blender then apply a Wings material to it, it remains matte. It doesn't go shiny like the native cube. I can even assign the same material to both of them and one will stay shiny and the other will stay matte.
Blender cube has hard edges.
(11-11-2019, 02:04 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]What is PBR one?
Take a look at this post: Be ready for PBR

Quote:Also, when I import a cube from Blender then apply a Wings material to it, it remains matte. It doesn't go shiny like the native cube. I can even assign the same material to both of them and one will stay shiny and the other will stay matte.
As ismacou, it's related to the hard edges.
In Edge selection mode [E], you can define them by your own selecting the edges you want to be hard and use the command Hardness which will offer you the sub options: Hard, Soft and Invert; or you can let Wings3D help you by using switching to Body selection mode [B] and selecting the object you intend set that and apply the command Auto-Smooth. You can use the [LMB] Left Mouse Button to select the command and the default tolerance angle will be applied or you can use the [RMB] Right Mouse Button to access an input dialog where you can define that tolerance.

This is the Camera Light visualization mode which your can use to see/set the PBR materials. The screenshot bellow is the same as your and it has the Work Mode turned OFF (which isn't the default - notice the cube icon close to the gear icon) - that is why we don't see edges:
[Image: camera-light-workmode-off.png]

This is the same setting as above, but with the Work Mode turned ON - now we can see the edges and the orange ones (right) are the hard edges - the way Blender has been exporting. Wings3D doesn't assume that by default - you must to define where you want they to be:
[Image: camera-light-workmode-on.png]

An this is the Hemisphere Light visualization mode:
[Image: hemisphere-light-workmode-on.png]
Thanks for your help, I understand now.

It would be handy for new users if this were a bit more obvious. Is there any way to see all the settings for an object?
(11-12-2019, 12:10 AM)vershner Wrote: [ -> ]It would be handy for new users if this were a bit more obvious. Is there any way to see all the settings for an object?
I'm not sure about your question.

Usually, we can see the hard edges on an object by the edges colors (as shown above). The View menu has a Show item where you can find other options you can control, like if you want to see the Normals (for vertex, edge and faces) - everything in Wings3D is based on selections, so after you enable that you are going to see them only when you make a selection.

Material applied to it is not so clear, but its relationship is made by the icon color. When you expand the material info ([+]) in the Outiliner window you can see which maps (texture/images) it's using. By double clicking the material you get access to the material properties. (something about an improvement of this has been recently discussed in this thread).

In case you didn't noticed yet, a texture/image can be assigned to a material using drag-and-drop action. To remove one you can use the context menu for a selected item (image). Some tools are present there too as an option to create grey scale images, normal maps and extract color channels from an image.
Wings3D works much with context menus and most of them have multiple options depending on which mouse button you use to select a item - pay attention to the Information line or the tooltip (hint/balloon,...).

It looks like you already know a little of Blender or other 3D app. Modelling is something we can carried from an app to another, but each app has its own particularity and that will require we to explorer their UI a little. So, take a look around Wings3D and fell free to ask here at the forum any question you have related to its use/options. Smile
(11-12-2019, 02:07 PM)micheus Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure about your question.

Usually, we can see the hard edges on an object by the edges colors (as shown above). The View menu has a Show item where you can find other options you can control, like if you want to see the Normals (for vertex, edge and faces) - everything in Wings3D is based on selections, so after you enable that you are going to see them only when you make a selection.
That's great now that I know what those edge colours mean, but that didn't help me discover the feature. It would be nice to be able to right-click on an object a get a properties box that lists all of the attributes of the object.

Quote:In case you didn't noticed yet, a texture/image can be assigned to a material using drag-and-drop action. To remove one you can use the context menu for a selected item (image). Some tools are present there too as an option to create grey scale images, normal maps and extract color channels from an image.
Yes I did see this in one of the tutorials, and I have been assigning textures in this way. I have had one issue here though, when I assign a material with a texture to an object, then I go to UV map it, sometimes Wings will create a new default texture rather than the one assigned to the material. Is there any way to avoid this?

Quote:It looks like you already know a little of Blender or other 3D app. Modelling is something we can carried from an app to another, but each app has its own particularity and that will require we to explorer their UI a little. So, take a look around Wings3D and fell free to ask here at the forum any question you have related to its use/options. Smile
Yes I've been banging my head against Blender for a little while Smile I can make simple objects in it, but I cannot understand the shaders and texturing interface. There's just so much complexity there, and most of the features I will never need. I'm glad I've discovered Wings, it fits my needs much better.
Pages: 1 2