Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: uv dilemma
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm try to improve my uv skills, as a Sketchup user we don't have native uv unwrapping tools so its a compromise most of the time

I built the frame work as separate models but the door I made as a single object, I did the mapping which I'm happy with, then it dawned on me I hadn't beveled my edges.
What would be the best way to deal with this?

Yeah, that is very annoying.

Unfortunately W3D doesn't deal wheel with this approach. After you get your object UV mapped, commands like Cut works fine, but Slide, Inset, Bevel and Crease doesn't - they deform the UV.

So, best approach is to leave the UV mapping to the end. Smile

Anyway, as your model is not that complex; it has flat corners and the texture was not exactly paint for its shape, I think your best option is to add your bevels and then (in Body mode) use Re-segment (MMB) or Remake (RMB) to rework your UV cut.

If it was in a small portion of the object you would try to fix that in the AutoUV window by using Cut/Stitch with the help of Geom window for some selections and then use Project Unfold or Remap UV options, but I believe that will require you to get more intimate with AutoUV use.

Tip (maybe): In AutoUV Segmenting window the hard edges present in the object will automatically translated to edges marked for cut. That means that when you are producing objects like the first you post (no bevels, no rounded areas) you can speed up the cut process by using Auto-Smooth in that object on the Geom window - which will mark hard edges using a tolerance value. Then, on the Segmenting window we can adjust and desired or undesired cut.
After that, if our model doesn't needs the hard edge to be set we can just remove them.
Thanks for the advice Smile
In SU I tend to texture as I go, place holder textures which usually get replaced at render time, I just need to break a few habits