Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: [stand-by] Image viewer cashes Wings3D on Linux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi everybody,

My display server is Xorg

In my terminal > echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

x11

In my terminal > dpkg -l |grep xserver-xorg-core

ii xserver-xorg-core 2:1.19.6-1ubuntu4.3 amd64 Xorg X server - core server

Best regards

Phil

Hi,

Some new tests

If i load an image with no dimensions problem (640x480) in Outliner window, in wings3d (2.1.5 and 2.2.5). I can't reduce the window image display under 640x480 (i reduce the window size from the bottom right corner with my mouse), wings3d close immediately with no message error.

But there is no problem if i expand the window image display (i expand the window size from the bottom right corner with my mouse),

Best regards

Phil
Hi,

This is my Opengl configuration

Best regards

Phil
I don't know if it will help you but this worked for me
https://packages.debian.org/sid/wings3d
Phil92 Wrote: [ -> ]I imported my image in wings3d 2.1.5 and wings3d 2.2.5 (sphere_plan_2188x1746.png > 228.8kb) file menu > Import image. My image is loaded in Outliner window, if i double click on it, wings3d (2.1.5 and 2.2.5) close immediately with no message error. If i click my right button mouse on the name of my image, i see the contextual menu but if i chose > Show , wingsd3 (2.1.5 and 2.2.5) close immediately with no message error.
Phil92 Wrote: [ -> ]If i load an image with no dimensions problem (640x480) in Outliner window, in wings3d (2.1.5 and 2.2.5). I can't reduce the window image display under 640x480 (i reduce the window size from the bottom right corner with my mouse), wings3d close immediately with no message error.

But there is no problem if i expand the window image display (i expand the window size from the bottom right corner with my mouse),
At this point it's clear the problem is in the viewer and - by considering the problem is noticed only in some Linux distros - it can be related to wx library and its dependencies. And it's something hard to figure it out.

Phil92 Wrote: [ -> ]This is my Opengl configuration
Thanks for the extra information.
That was an initial question, before get clear to me that it's not an old problem we had years ago.
There is an old bug with WXWidgets and openfile dialogs which can cause a crash, but its usually if you double click the thumbnail rather than the ok button, I've seen it in Thea and a game engine called Visionaire.. neither of them crash these days because the error is caught but Thea wont load the image and Visionaire loses focus on that task

If you look at repositories that have Wings builds they often mention the problem going back to 2.1.5, it may give some insight to how they fix it, like I mentioned the sid version of 2.2.4 works for me on Debian Mate, were as trying to build totally fails
That sid version of 2.2.4 is mentioning "Interface Toolkit: SDL" and "dep: erlang-esdl (>= 1.3.1)", but that was removed in v2.0.

Anyway, I took a look at the two file sources (wings_image.erl and wings_image_viewer.erl) - which I think would have any relationship with this issue - and I couldn't find any relevant difference by now.
It was checked by Phill92 and nigec the problem they are reporting has the same origin - it comes from the X Windows system (from Linux) in accord with the error message we could to track:

Code:
The program 'Erlang' received an X Window System error.

This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadDrawable (invalid Pixmap or Window parameter)'.
(Details: serial 32752 error_code 9 request_code 62 minor_code 0)
(Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously; that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

It's in a OS service used by Wings3D which we have not way to get more information without to debug that module since the linux used by dgud doesn't has this problem (I don't have a working linux install to check).

This way, I'm going to state this thread as in "stand by" hopping someone else can try to figure this out.
If someone could supply the command line so sync worked it would be a help, I can't get sync to work
I just upgraded a few things but nothing has changed
You can't Undecided I have tried to add that to the code to the graphics package but couldn't get it work.
just for the record, Bodhi which based on Ubuntu has the problem to:
xserver-xorg-core 2:1.19.6-1ubuntu4.4 amd64 Xorg X server - core server

Sadly Ubuntu runs really bad on this system so I need lite versions
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5