Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: Windows 10: 2.2.9 closing down right after starting up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello.

This software recently caught my attention because of how intuitive it looks and how light it is. I was very eager to try it out, but unfortunately, something goes wrong after opening it.

The window pops up for a couple of seconds and then closes down without so much as an error message. I can drag the window and hover over the toolbar menus (though clicking on them does nothing) but that doesn't stop it from shutting down.
I could upload a video to YouTube and link it in a reply if it that would help.

I'm not the most tech savvy guy out there so I haven't explored my options other than opening the program as administrator and in compatibility mode, neither of which changed anything.

I figure this issue has all to do with my old crappy PC, but I thought I'd reach out to find out a possible solution anyway.

My specs:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz
Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 2000
RAM: 8GB

Regards, and thanks in advance.
Hi malbo

I went through a situation like this when I removed my Nvidia GPU and used the onboarding Intel one.

To fix that by going to the Intel Graphics Control Panel and played with some settings until I found out the issue was caused by the MSAA setting which I have to switch from Turn Off to Use Application Settings.
Ref. Image:

Check if that help you. The Intel GPUs use to gives some headache.Smile
Hi, thanks a lot for the reply. From what you said, that seems to be the exact issue I'm having, the Nvidia GPU I had died and my pc hasn't been doing too hot since.

Sadly, the solution you provided didn't work for me Sad
Did you tried to play with the other Intel GPU settings?

Anyway, let's try something else...

Your report is similar to a previous one: Wings closing itself after i open it

Please try one by one each step I suggested there and see if we can get some extra information from them about what can be happening:
  1. Did you get any file named wings_crash.dump on your desktop? or can you find any
    Erlang crash dump file at (something like) "C:\Program Files\wings3d_2.2.8\bin\erl_crash.dump"?
  2. Try to run Wings3D the way shown in this post by dgud and see if you can get the log shown on the Erlang console;
  3. If the console also crashes, please try this before start Wings3D as was shown in the previous step: After start the werl.exe (Erlang console for windows), but before run the wingsConfusedtart(), use menu File->Open Logfile... to get the file erlshell.log created somewhere you define. It's possible it record the text before the total crash. After the crash check if the file got any content;
  4. Another thing that maybe you would try to do is to force the MSV runtime library that came with the installer to be installed/modified. The installer will let this option unchecked if it is already installed, but in the past doing this process helped other user to run Wings3D;
  5. And, as a last option would be try to run Wings3D in compatibility mode. Maybe you can try Windows 7;
I did mess around with the 3D options of the intel graphics to no avail.

The Erlang window does crash after using the code, and I couldn't get it to show anything in the log, but I managed to screenshot the error message that appears in the Erlang window right before the crash, which I attached to this reply.
[Image: imagen-2023-04-16-010331759.png]

In the meantime I will try to reinstall the program with the setting you mentioned and update with a reply once I'm done with that.
Thanks for testing the options.
The message seems to be an error assigned to the third part library used for the UI. It also seems related to some graphic initialisation.

Do you have the latest driver installed for your GPU? The Intel offers a tool to check that (IntelĀ® Driver & Support Assistant (IntelĀ® DSA)).
Intel Driver Assistant tells me there are no available updates for my system sadly.

On the other hand, get this. I installed 32 Bit version and miraculously it opens fine. Here is the Erlang log for that when I open it, it says something about limiting some options due to Open GL which is understandable.

I suppose it all boils down to my graphics being crappy. If possible I would like to find a solution to open the 64 Bit version, but at the very least I am now capable of using the program, so I'm looking forward to that.

Thanks for all the help Smile
Thanks for the feedback Malbo

I fixed you linked image in the post #5. It was not nice for the forum. When you upload an image to PostImage you can use the option "Hotlink for forums:" in order to get it shown properly at the forum. Smile

About the OpenCL feature it's related to the GPU driver. If Wings3D was not able to initialize it then your GPU may not have it available. Which Intel GPU have you PC?

Anyway, there is still way to emulate it via CPU and get the functionalities available, but it doesn't bring us the performance if used CPU+GPU.
Check this old thread if you want to try: Making OpenCL features available
I just checked in another PC that have a poor Intel HD Graphics 400 and - in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel - by changing the Multi-Sample Anti-Aliasing to Use Application Settings I was able to load Wings3D without the crash and the OpenCL is reported as version 1.2.
But, if I use change to Turn Off I get that crash you shared the screenshot.

So, please make sure you have the correct parameter set and then try to start Wings3D (it's necessary to apply the change before run Wings3D).

About to enable the OpenCL...

You can check if your GPU is supporting it by following this tip: How to check if your GPU supports OpenCL in Windows 10

As you may have got an OpenCL error previouslly, eventually when you start Wings3D in a next time you can get a message like this:
Code:
OpenCL not available: {opencl_failed_previously,
"c:/Users/<your_user_name>/AppData/Local/Wings3D/Cache/opencl_tmp.txt"}
In this case, close Wings3D and go to that file location pointed in the log and delete it and after that try to load Wings3D again.

If OpenCL could not be initialised there is nothing else we can do. Sad
Hi Malbo, could please test this path?

You need to download it and replace the original one in the Wings3D's install folder (it's for the x64 bits version).
It should be at: C:\Program Files\wings3d_2.2.9\lib\wings-2.2.9\ebin

Since your 64bit install isn't working anyway, the worst that can happen is it keep not working. Smile
Pages: 1 2