Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: A dialog for File->Merge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
The more we give, moew they want. Smile
(03-24-2014, 11:21 AM)Fonte Boa Wrote: [ -> ](1) In that list, is it possible to select more than one object or just one object at a time? (*)
(2) Is it possible to extend the "Object/Light option" to Materials too?

(*) If really not, i ask you if it would be possible to add a third botton, side "OK" and "Cancel" to import a single object in the list, then other one, etc, instead of have to call again and again the command "Merge". Something like "Append"...
(1) - as I told in the post #35 - only one. But, at least we can see what we have in the file. Also, as I told in the first post, we don't have a component for multiple selection available, so there is no way to implement this resource at this time.
As I have noticed, Dan has been converting the code used by de UI (ESDL), so maybe at the end we would get new controls!?

Add a button to insert an object one by one is not the way that Wings3d manage dialogs - I should not change that.

I thought about the material option too, but I would need to put more "fat" into the code, since an object being imported would be using a material that the user is not importing. That would add some inconsistency to the user project since probably that object will receive a default material. To avoid that, I think I need to verify the materials used by the objects and force it be imported in case the user didn't include it.

What do you think about?
Now, i understood the limitations to import multiple objects and the absence of a component to this: thks for the explanation.

About materials:
had you imagine Merge command just importing the materials but not applying them to objects? This was my first idea, considering i would use Merge command to import Materials, Lights, Palettes LIBRARIES, to use in the current wings file.

I agree with you: if user Merge an object but not the material, that object should arrive with default material applied.
But if user import both, Material and Object, it seems the more reasonable is to make the object arrives with material already applied (unless you create an option to avoid this).
(03-24-2014, 09:00 PM)Fonte Boa Wrote: [ -> ]About materials:
had you imagine Merge command just importing the materials but not applying them to objects?
It works that way.

Quote:I agree with you: if user Merge an object but not the material, that object should arrive with default material applied.
It works that way too. Smile

[Image: merge_dialog2_zpsf0cccfe5.png]
Something that we still are not controlling: the Selection Groups
Anybody thinks is it necessary have an option for it too?

Also, something I noticed about Palette: Wings use to merge the palettes (that is ok), but if we start a New project the palette isn't restored to its default. My first think was it should be, but maybe that would not be the right behaviour. What do you think guys?

Lets put the link for download here again: Merge Dialog - please test it.
Wings crashes when i try to "merge selected".

Dump written 2014-3-26_21-40
Version: 1.5.2
Window: {dialog,#Ref<0.0.0.1179>}
Reason: function_clause

Short stack trace:
[]

Long stack trace:
[{lists,nth,
[0,
[{object,"cone1",
{winged,[[{edge,0,1,0,1,3,1,2,4}],
[{edge,0,15,16,0,31,2,0,29}],
(...)
[{edge,15,16,16,15,2,1,29,30}]],
[[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[],[]],
[[<<63,240,0,0,0,0,0,0,191,240,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
0,0,0,0>>],
[<<63,237,144,107,207,50,141,70,191,240,0,0,0,0,0,
0,63,216,125,226,166,174,169,99>>],
(..)
[<<0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,63,240,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,
0,0>>]],
[]},
[{plugin_states,[{wings_shape,no_folder}]}]}]],
[{file,"lists.erl"},{line,168}]},
{wings_ff_wings,'-import_vsn2_sel/5-fun-3-',12,
[{file,"wings_ff_wings.erl"},{line,115}]},
{wings_ask,return_result,1,[{file,"wings_ask.erl"},{line,871}]},
{wings_wm,handle_event,3,[{file,"wings_wm.erl"},{line,825}]},
{wings_wm,send_event,2,[{file,"wings_wm.erl"},{line,797}]},
{wings_wm,do_dispatch,2,[{file,"wings_wm.erl"},{line,698}]},
{wings_wm,get_and_dispatch,0,[{file,"wings_wm.erl"},{line,612}]},
{wings,init,1,[{file,"wings.erl"},{line,154}]}]
Thanks Fonte Boa.
It always have a track that I don't pass through. Smile

I loaded a scene with a selection, then try to merge a scene with faces selected using all Selection Options and would not repeat the error.

Could you please send me the scenes you are using or a step by step?

Stupid me.

I got it. It's fixed and the file updated.
Thanks
Micheus,
"object/light options" could be extended to saved views and materials, imo.
(03-27-2014, 01:26 AM)Fonte Boa Wrote: [ -> ]"object/light options" could be extended to saved views and materials, imo.
I was afraid you could think that. Smile
Material renaming is automatically done by Wings3d. Replace would require some extra action.
In that situation, I believe that the right think to do is enable that kind of option for all those elements. What do you think?
Micheus,
I need to download the new version you just posted but I have something else to mention...

Choosing Replace objects with same name deletes all objects. I was expecting only objects with the same name to get replaced....

I was expecting "Make all new light/object selected" to select the merged in objects. It does do that but I first have to select "Add to the Current" to make it work...

Also, as for how palettes should work... I would think that dgud would probably want default to be restored for new projects...

Thanks,
oort
Replace Materials present in scene that have the same name of the Material being merged: i think this would be an interesting resource. Is that hard to code?

Anyway those "object/light option" could be enable to all elements, i agree too. (in this case, maybe it should has another name, but i dont know which one...)
Guys, I'm left my work now (time to go home), so I'm going to answer you tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9