Wings 3D Development Forum

Full Version: A dialog for File->Merge
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Micheus,
I hope it is of some use since it took a while to think it through. Hopefully it makes sense. It is difficult to put in a few words what the different items do... Smile Sad

I think I like "Keep current" better than "ignore". Not sure if there is a better way to say it???

By "auto-selecting", I was simply saying that when "Make all new selection" is enabled, the merged in object will be selected and become part of the new selection group. Either added to the current selection group or replacing the current selection group.

Maybe there is a better name for "Make all new selection"??? Not sure what it would be...

Edit: Maybe "Auto-select merged object" would be better than "Make all new selection"??? "Keep current" would be disabled when "Auto-select merged object" is enabled.

oort
Here is the latest dialog appearance:
[Image: merge_dlg_3_zps45837c50.png]
(1) is now different for Objects/Light, Materials and Images.
- It was added a option to import only the materials used by the objects being imported;
- the images list shows if an image is external (otherwise it is internal).
(2) Each checkbox will be enabled only if its respective elements exists;
(3) As already pointed in the post #43, the three radio buttons will be enabled if there is any selection in the scene being imported; otherwise by checking "Make all new selection" (I still didn't change this title) you will be able to select between "Add to Current" and "Replace the current" (only).

I hope you guys could test it, since I think this first version is finished.

Lets put the link for download here again: Merge Dialog - please test it.
Micheus,
I only had a couple minutes right now to test. When I choose "Make all new selection", "Keep the current" is still selectable. Did I misunderstand your last note???

The first time I tried the unlock option it did not work but the second time I tried it did work. I will need to test more later.

Edit: Did one more test and the bishop in the chess scene I sent you is the one that is not unlocking

Thanks,
oort
(04-09-2014, 08:29 PM)oort Wrote: [ -> ]When I choose "Make all new selection", "Keep the current" is still selectable. Did I misunderstand your last note???
You can. As I already told before I have no way to disable only one of those radio buttons, but by selecting it ("Keep Current") the "Make all new selection" checkbox is unchecked.
Just a minor issue I found: Unlock and Unhidden behaviour seems to have been interchanged. I'm already checking this.
Micheus,
"keep the current" still being selectable makes sense and I like the way you have it working. I was testing in too big a hurry...Blush

I wonder if for Materials, "Used by chosen objects" should be "Used by merged objects"???

I wonder if for Images, "Only used by any material" should be "Only if used by a material"???

For Images, I like that you list if "External"... Smile

Are you unable to have a "Selected" option for images? Not something I would necessarily need but some might if it is possible... Very glad I now have the option for "None".

Thanks,
oort

Watching the Information line I see that for the "Selection options" you have it written as "Defines what to do with selections present in the file being merged." "Keep Current" might be better as "Ignore", as you mentioned a few posts earlier??? Using "Keep Current" may make the user think that the selection present in the file being merged is being kept current???

Sorry to be such a bother on this... Sad

oort
Thank you for yours comments and don't worry about that - we are constructing this all toghetter.
I'll wait for other comments before start changing these things you pointed.

Again, thank you for spend time testing it.
Micheus,
I hate to add one more thing to control when merging files. It may not be possible??? Another thing that gets merged in with files is the render settings. It would be nice to have control over this. Options would be to "Ignore" or "Replace".

Currently when I merge in a file with YafaRay render settings, the settings of the current file are replaced by the settings present in the merged in file. I would like to be able to keep the settings in my file and not have them be replaced by the settings in the merged in file...

You have done a great job and even without adding this feature I am happy. This would just be the icing on the cake.... Smile

Thanks,
oort
Back to this dialog...
Quote:Objects
What to merge: All | Selected | None
Same name action: Rename new | Replace current

Lights

Materials
What to merge: All | Selected | Used by chosen objects | None

Images
What to merge: All | Used by chosen objects| None

Selection Group
What to merge: All | Selected | Used by chosen objects | None

Saved Views
I'm not sure about the red ones. Does anybody has some opinion about that?
Micheus,
Since I have not used selection groups other than testing it once or twice, I may not be the best to answer... I think you are correct in thinking that "All" and "Selected" would not be needed since only those Selection Groups that are associated with "chosen objects" would be wanted. Any Selection Groups not associated with "chosen objects" would have no objects in that group. Or am I thinking wrong???

Thanks,
oort
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9